Home – New Forums Money matters Property investing Reply To: Property investing

Ross Forrester
  • Total posts: 155

When you move to Australia you are deemed to have purchased, for Australian tax purposes, your UK property for its market value at the time you moved here.

Any increase in value from the time you landed in Australia to the sale event will trigger a capital gains tax event and you will pay Australian tax on that profit.

If you pay UK tax on the sale of that profit the Australian tax system will reduce the tax payable by the amount of the UK tax paid.