Home – New Forums Tech talk Why does every website look the same? Reply To: Why does every website look the same?

Greg_M
  • Total posts: 1,691
Up
::
CephIT, post: 262948, member: 112253 wrote:
I’d say most people here are correct.

I’m an engineer, websites are a part of what I might write for a partner. In doing this we have to strike a balance between being unique, with unique design and functions to stand out and the time, budget and effectiveness they wish from their site/application.

While myself I won’t generally reuse templates. I’m not a design guru so I often may use a number of design principles or frameworks.

For instance. Google has their Material Design that makes all their applications look and feel the same. https://material.io/design/ (it’s a good read)

If you where to ever look at my site, you’d see I follow a very simple and to the point single page design. I have the challenge of distilling what could be A LOT of boring info (well I find it really exciting, most my partners don’t though) into something that tries to get a point across quickly.

Suffice to say I get most of my partners by meeting them in public.

Usually if a site is costing your less then a few Au dollyroo’s, it’s likely from a template that has been reused. This isn’t generally a bad thing. But “may” not really pop you out from a list of competitors.

The main things. Make sure your site conveys the information it needs to clearly. Try to follow WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) which help vision impaired or other peoples with disabilities navigate your site. Make sure it’s functional ( Contact forms, tracking etc ) and it all works. Once its up you can measure the success of your site and adjust accordingly.

Feel free to let us know if you have any questions.

As a non designer who’s only focus is now on the mobile web, I’ve become a fan of Material Design.

There’s now some pretty handy UI frameworks geared towards scaffolding a project with MD.

Off the shelf, most of the ready to roll layout templates can be a bit clunky looking on desktop (imo) but most work very well on mobile or a tablet…and that’s where usability counts for most consumers.

Google are doing a lot of work to make “branding” happen more smoothly using MD principals. Case in point, I’m currently learning to use Flutter, a UI widget builder for native mobile apps and there’s a lot of stuff available to get away from the Google “look” but still use the design principals…some of that seems to be leaking through to the web UI frameworks.