Home Forums Tech talk Why does every website look the same? Reply To: Why does every website look the same?

Zava Design
Participant
  • Total posts: 1,461
Greg_M, post: 264026, member: 38207 wrote:
I agree that consumers have expectations about both websites and houses…but I’m old enough to remember when the dunny was near the back fence and websites had sparkly backgrounds and weird little men carried flags across the screen.

At some point, someone takes a risk and pushes the envelop in design, otherwise it would be a very static world (and I’d still be checking for spiders under the seat).
But this is the point, the experimentation when we knew nothing has mostly occured (front end visually anyway), and now we’re at an informed stage where we know for the most part what works best for users.

One area where I think standardised website design is failing badly is in the mobile space. Most are crap on a phone…increasingly the primary device of the majority of users.

I think the mobile interface is the new frontier, how it evolves should be interesting.

This is playing out the exact same way desktop design did, exactly!! Started off with experimentation, but we are now entering the era when we are starting to know what works best and so mobile interfaces will also start to become more uniform, with small (and sometimes important) unique features across different sites/apps.