Home – New Forums Marketing mastery At what point do you think, “I’m gonna hire a professional writer”? Reply To: At what point do you think, “I’m gonna hire a professional writer”?

RoseC
  • Total posts: 58
Up
::
bb1, post: 256540, member: 53375 wrote:
So the answer is a resounding Yes, but with the huge qualification if done right and if done the way the potential client wants to see (or hear) the message. So you could also say it’s a resounding No, if the marketer has no idea.
….
IMHO if a marketer can’t guarantee you a return, they obviously don’t understand your business or your client in which case they shouldn’t be pretending to be able to market your product / service and walk away from your business.

Just to bring it back to the thread. I think you know from my ramblings that I don’t write things the way a professional writer does, but if the professionals words don’t suit my business or my client, I may as well ramble on and not pay Mega dollars. How many times have you looked at a professional writers web page or there (yep I have seen that often) posts on here and thought, did they really write that or was it some 6th grader.

Absolutely, a copywriter/marketer should be getting to know your customer’s inside and out, before putting fingertips to the keyboard. (Which I see you went on to say in a later post [USER=53375]@bb1[/USER], and I agree with you whole heartedly.)

It’s a sad fact that there are too many content mills and low-priced options that don’t bother to take a serious look at the company they’re writing for and what the customers WANT from that brand. The result is they totally stuff it up (this is my own cynicism about this industry creeping in).

Out of interest, when you say you “don’t write things the way a professional writer does,” do you mean in terms of structure when it comes to sales copy?

I think to answer the ROI question, I’m with [USER=1]@Peter – FS Administrator[/USER] that it isn’t always easy/possible to GUARANTEE a positive result straight off the bat, but I don’t believe copy (especially in the digital space) has to be static.

It’s nice to get it right first time and see the metrics and conversion rates go up, or increased views of a blog you’ve written (or better still, customers being active and actually commenting and responding to that content), but that doesn’t always happen. Sadly.

There should be scope to refine and tweak it if it turn’s out the audience’s taste is changing, or the aims of the company are moving in a different direction.

A perfect example that’s cropped up for me in the last few weeks: a blog article I wrote a couple of years back for a client is driving a totally crazy amount of organic traffic to their site.

When I wrote it, the brief was simply to write a blog on a particular topic, link to this, that and the other, and make sure it’s SEO friendly. Just like any other blog.

There was no way in all the world I could have guaranteed them the level of traffic they’ve received when I wrote it. But it’s doing well, so they’ve returned to me and we’ll fine-tune it to try and capitalise on it fully.

Last thing I wanna say for now (because I’ve been sat writing for a solid nine hours today), is that it’s important to realise that not every sort of content and engagement between brand and customer has to result in dollars in the till.