Home – New Forums Money matters Will renting a coworking space prevent me from capital gains tax on my home (mobile sole trader) Reply To: Will renting a coworking space prevent me from capital gains tax on my home (mobile sole trader)

Soletradernewbie
  • Total posts: 4
Up
::

I don’t want my home to be considered my place of business as I’ll not operate out of it at all. But the address will be my home if I don’t have access to a virtual business address through the coworking space I intend to use. Are co-working spaces considered sufficient business premises to avoid my home being pulled into the capital gains issue.

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Property/Property-used-in-running-a-business/Running-your-business-from-home/

Capital g
ains and the main residence exemption
Generally, you can ignore a capital gain or loss you make when you sell your home or main residence (under the main residence exemption).

However, you don’t get the full main residence exemption if your home is your principal place of business, although you’re probably entitled to a partial exemption.

To work out the capital gain that is not exempt, you need to take into account a number of factors including: