Home – New Forums Money matters Registering and the new GST on low value imports Reply To: Registering and the new GST on low value imports

geegee
  • Total posts: 89
Up
::
JamesMillar, post: 260533, member: 5318 wrote:
The new rules for sub $1000 imports are an issue for the foreign seller to contend with – not for you to worry about. They might be required to register and report to the ATO and pay GST. Separate to that, if your Australian business is not registered for GST then your costs will increase by the amount of any GST charged to you by the foreign seller (as they will increase their price). Border / customs / ATO will not charge you the GST for the sub $1000 items. Treatment for items over $1000 has not changed. If you register for GST you will be able to claim back GST credits but you probably also need to charge your customers provided they are in Australia and your products are taxable supplies. If you register for GST and are mostly selling B2C and not B2B then registering may produce adverse pricing / demand outcomes because your goods will immediately become 10% more expensive compared to others.
Thank you James for replying. I am worried that my suppliers will find it easier to just not deal with non registered businesses like me. Believing that if they stick with just registered businesses they will never have to register themselves. I will wait and see what happens when I order next.