Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Critique please … :) Reply To: Critique please … :)

Greg_M
  • Total posts: 1,691
Up
::
bradzo, post: 262184, member: 3742 wrote:
Thanks Greg, and thanks Bert.

Needs work then? :)

Bert – the More Info was my test for a 404 page – I hadn’t added that page yet but that proves the 404 page worked :) Obviously, even that text needs to change.

Interesting that you both found that you couldn’t “go back” – not quite sure how you found that difficult – the normal back button on the browser does what one would expect? (oh unless you were viewing on mobile – I need to check that)

re the app benefits and pricing popups – should all the content go into popups rather than separate pages if “going back” seems to be an issue?

It *is* a dogs breakfast, so how can I make it better?

Bert – good point re “just so I can have it in my pocket” – its not actually for the real estate person themselves. Its really a tool to give away (so to speak) to their prospects – buyers, vendors etc – rather than competing with realestate.com.au’s app, the real estate salesperson can (hopefully) build a network of prospects with their own app. The whole thing started from my step-daughter wanting an app of her own.

Thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious though with regard to “why” – I tend to get caught up in the dev side of things, and spoil the selling side of things.

If someone can help me with the selling side of things, I’d really appreciate it – willing to pay to get this thing moving.

Greg – it started as a Bootstrap template – the background video really caught my eye and it matched well with Georgia’s app – with the hamburger menu bar in the top left hand corner, being drawn by the lady in the video.

I’ll add some extra text somewhere that says “try me!” because I agree, it isn’t immediately obvious that its not just an image.

I’m not sure how I would go about changing it so that it shows the above the fold – on a wide desktop, the grid layout is 6,3,3 Bootstrap cols – and I chose that configuration to show the video playing and placing the “drawing” in the first 3 cols, and the second 3 cols to show the embedded app in the phone image. Not really sure how I’d change the layout of that to make it “make sense” on mobile. Maybe I need a completely separate layout for mobile… hmmm.

Thanks very much to both of you – I really appreciate your comments.

The background video would have caught my eye too, it says a lot about what your doing…but it’s lost quickly at a smaller browser size (and the message it sends). It Should be possible to downsize it (without losing the aspect ratio) to at least iPad size before it becomes useless as a background.

Without analysing your CSS closely, the following is a bit of a punt…just put the embedded app in the first column, currently you have md-6, I’m a bit rusty on Bootstrap but it should be possible to resize it as lg-12 md-6 sm-12 (or something similar) in the same div (so it stays full width below tablet size without a media query)…then “center” it all.

It feels like you’ve done your layout on a bigger screen and then tried to adapt to mobile. I’ve found it easier to start layouts at mobile then build out because mobile is where your initial contact/search normally starts…bigger screens come later/evolve.

I don’t find using a back button intuitive on desktop etc, passable on mobile but when using a trackpad it’s “too far” to the back button, a simple “return to where ever ” link is what I look for personally…if a potential client has to search for navigation directions I think they’ll bail out pretty quickly.

Hope that’s some help, the idea is sound imo but the UI needs work.