Home – New Forums Get productive Need help letting go of my work to Staff Reply To: Need help letting go of my work to Staff

Paul – FS Concierge
Keymaster
  • Total posts: 3,488
Up
::

Hi [USER=60404]@Mischelle[/USER] ,

I have had a lot of experience with promoting people who started at the bottom and looking back, I had some hits and some misses.

It goes without saying that either outcome results in a lot of joy or a lot of pain down the track.

Reflecting on these kinds of decisions, I found that there is much more risk to the down side associated with promoting somebody in situations like yours ie, where there are pressures to relieve overwhelm.

This is because there are immediate payoffs in the form of feeling like you are taking action and being able to pass off some work to others etc.

Long term however,it will generally take a lot more resources long term to train a non-salesperson to be a sales person than to recruit a pro salesperson and train them around your products/services and business.

And it is hard for people to go back to their old role if things don’t work out.

In the immediate term, this formula is probably reversed and that is part of the pay-off.

In your mind at the moment, there seems to be an Option A or Option B scenario but I encourage you to think of Options C,D and E and more if there are viable alternatives.

For what it is worth, in my experience, with sales in particular, people that will be successful in that role will almost always really jump out at you (ie, you would have been thinking a long time ago, this person would be awesome in sales).

Let me know if you would like to further discuss any of these ideas.