Home – New Forums Wellbeing & balance As a solo biz owner, when do you get time off? Reply To: As a solo biz owner, when do you get time off?

Anfernee Chansamooth
Participant
  • Total posts: 41
Up
::

Interesting topic @suze-english.

When I started my business in 2015, I didn’t know that it’d take me nearly four years before I took any serious time off. Even then, I freaked out at the thought of having two weeks off to celebrate my niece’s birthday in Tokyo with our family.

After burning out during the pandemic, I was forced to take three months off this year to focus on getting my mental and physical well-being right. I recently wrote an essay on the hidden cost of chasing fast growth, which resonated with several entrepreneurs.

Here’s an excerpt from my essay:

I’ve noticed one common pattern in every:

• Entrepreneur striving to make things work
    • High-flying corporate employee
    • Compassionate community builder
    • Self-proclaimed “high achiever”
    Individual chasing fast growth.

What pattern?

They assume that more is always better.

More customers.
More time.
More money.
More compassion.
More results.
More impact.
More ROI.
More freedom.

Furthermore, they’ve been hoodwinked into believing that fast growth is the best path to achieving more.

It’s not always the best path. I found this out the hard way.

What is the solution to address and prevent burnout? Being deliberate about what’s actually important to you and building a business that supports the lifestyle that you want to live.

For instance, as a 43-year-old, I’m now very deliberate about how I spend my time. I’m focused on slow growth and producing quality work. I’m also well aware that I can put in a good four hours per day of quality effort. Pushing beyond that only results in poor-quality output and stress for me.

If you’re in your 20s or 30’s, are single, and have tons of energy to burn, then you’ll be able to “hustle” more. Just make sure you’re doing it for the right reasons.

I help service professionals create content that builds trust, attracts leads, and generates sales.