Home – New Forums Find the help you need Share your story – How long have you been working at your craft? Reply To: Share your story – How long have you been working at your craft?

jamie.icstech
Participant
  • Total posts: 1
Up
::

I’ve been in telecommunications my entire working life of 37 years so far. As employee, contractor and self employed for the last 16 years. Starting out as a boy in short pants and now as a middle-aged man in short pants…

Lots of knowledge to be continually gained – both formally through training courses and informally through on the job experience.

You need curiosity and a desire to do things better or more innovatively. Underpromise and over deliver. In some cases design conservatively such as in a recent WiFi install for a food preparation company. They wanted WiFi in their freezers and the end result exceeded everybody’s expectations including mine in terms of coverage.

Also it always pays to have a backup plan where possible. What happens if plan A doesn’t work? Occasionally if you are relocating a customer it is not possible to have a backup plan so it just has to work.