Home – New Forums Other discussions Starting an online business from a rental Reply To: Starting an online business from a rental

WandaOrta
Participant
  • Total posts: 6
Up
::

Hi there,

I’m hoping I can get some advice.
I currently run my own business from home, copywriting, and assisting small start ups with their branding and marketing. I regularly have couriers deliver samples, work-related items to the home, probably about 2-3 times a week.
I’m also starting an online store, selling spices and salts which will be prepared and packaged in a hired commercial kitchen meeting all requirements.
There will only be about $2K of stock within the residental premises at any one time, covered by my own business insurance.
The landlord already is aware that I run my existing business from home. What kind of additional permission do I need to get (if at all) given the new business is also online, it won’t bring in customers to the home, food isn’t prepared on the premises, and all postage will be taken care at an external posting/courier depot? All I will be doing is using one of the wardrobe cupboards for storage.

We are only going to be in this current rental for another 5 months, with the business not launching for another 3, so I want to keep it as straight forward as possible, whilst not breaking any rules.

I’m glad to offer some advice. Since you’re already running a home-based business, and your new venture won’t significantly change your current setup or affect your living situation, it’s likely that you won’t need additional permissions. However, it’s always a good idea to inform your landlord about your new online store to maintain transparency and avoid any potential issues. Keep it simple and straightforward, and you should be fine. Good luck with your new business!