Home – New Forums Tech talk 10 Reasons why search engines hate blogs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    ::

Have you seen or heard the phrase, “search engines love blogs?”

The truth is that search engines hate most blogs. Here are 10 common blog mistakes that cause search engines to hate blogs:

1. Auto generated title tags
    2. Squandering crawl equity
    3. Low value link text
    4. Multiple home pages
    5. Duplicate content
    6. Date based archives
    7. No keyword stability
    8. Sub-optimal URLs
    9. RSS not optimised
    10. Blogs on someone else’s domain

Most people who have published a blog, are probably guilty of implementing a number of these.

Here is an excellent video on what you can do to avoid these errors.

Stephan Spencer – SEO Mistakes Most Bloggers Make
    http://www.viddler.com/explore/jpozadzides/videos/107/
    This is a video of a presentation made at WordPresses’ Word Camp conference in San Fransisco 2008.

If you would like info on SE optimisation of your blog, please PM me.

Regs,

John W

Ali Dark
    Participant
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

That’s a great resource John! The video, that is.

But actually I thought you would be aware that search engines don’t distinguish between blogs and webpages because from their perspective there’s no difference – everything is a webpage.

What search engines don’t like are badly optimised (unclear) webpages, including blogs.

I think you knew this though…

HayleyWriter
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Great resource – thanks for the video. It’s a good one to show potential clients.

The key to getting website copy (including articles and blogs) that search engines like is ensuring you have 100% unique content that offers something to a particular market. Search engines show the FIRST website that they find with the content, so you have to make sure your writing is unique. Duplicating content from another source will not help you in any way (besides being unprofessional).

Hope this helps anyone reading the post and thinking “Oh no, I do those things with my blog!”

JohnW
    Up
    Ali Starbright, post: 36163 wrote:
    What search engines don’t like are badly optimised (unclear) webpages, including blogs.

I think you knew this though…
    Hi Ali,

Glad you found the video useful.

I’m not anti-blogs.

There is a lot of discussion about them in this forum but not much on how to set them up correctly.

If not implemented correctly, most of the hard work in writing them is being wasted.

Regs,

John W

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up
    JohnW, post: 36140 wrote:
    Have you seen or heard the phrase, “search engines love blogs?”

The truth is that search engines hate most blogs. Here are 10 common blog mistakes that cause search engines to hate blogs:

1. Auto generated title tags
    2. Squandering crawl equity
    3. Low value link text
    4. Multiple home pages
    5. Duplicate content
    6. Date based archives
    7. No keyword stability
    8. Sub-optimal URLs
    9. RSS not optimised
    10. Blogs on someone else’s domain

Most people who have published a blog, are probably guilty of implementing a number of these.

Here is an excellent video on what you can do to avoid these errors.

Stephan Spencer – SEO Mistakes Most Bloggers Make
    http://www.viddler.com/explore/jpozadzides/videos/107/
    This is a video of a presentation made at WordPresses’ Word Camp conference in San Fransisco 2008.

If you would like info on SE optimisation of your blog, please PM me.

Regs,

John W

Hate is a big word…

I doubt Google hates blogs…
    I have over 300 wordpress blogs and thingks seem fine in my front.

I think the video is interesting but keep in mind is in Sept 2008, more than 15 months ago and that in Search Engine time is like 10 years ago.

JohnW
    Up
    HayleyWriter, post: 36175 wrote:
    The key to getting website copy (including articles and blogs) that search engines like is ensuring you have 100% unique content that offers something to a particular market. Search engines show the FIRST website that they find with the content, so you have to make sure your writing is unique. Duplicating content from another source will not help you in any way (besides being unprofessional).
    Hi Hayley,

Often duplicate content problems are internal and the blog/website owner does not even know they are there. This is worth a read on the issue…

“Optimizing wordpress (or any CMS) to stop duplicate content penalty and supplemental results”
    http://www.utheguru.com/optimizing-wordpress-to-stop-duplicate-content-penalty

“So, how do you stop supplementals with wordpress? Well, after a bit of hunting around, I discovered that the most likely reason for the problem was the structure of wordpress itself – Content is replicated all over the place. For instance, this blog entry will appear under the ‘wordpress’ and ’seo’ categories to the right, in the archive for January, and in the blog entry itself.”

Regs,

John W

JohnW
    Up
    seocourse, post: 36182 wrote:
    Hate is a big word…

I think the video is interesting but keep in mind is in Sept 2008, more than 15 months ago and that in Search Engine time is like 10 years ago.
    Hi Gabriel,

“Hate” is a big word and intentionally used to catch peoples’ eyes. It seemed to work with you. :)

The post is not aimed at the SEO professional but at the many DIY’ers who have set up their own blog sites.

The video revolves around how search engines worked in 2008 and still do today. All that has happened in the interim is that the relative impact of the individual items has gone up or down.

Here is a more recent video along the same lines from Google’s Matt Cutts:

August 19, 2009 Straight from Google: What You Need to Know
    http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/seo-for-bloggers/

Hope it is also useful.

Regs,

John W

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up

Thanks for the video ;) Good info.

Ali Dark
    Participant
    Up

Stephan Spencer’s video (the first one) does have a lot of good points about how most blog themes are not SEO hardwired though. I’m going to develop a framework theme that incorporates a lot of that.

The Matt Cutts video is a CLASSIC. He’s a great speaker.

Ali Dark
    Participant
    Up

@John

@Gabriel
    … and anyone else interested

Hey guys

Let’s collaborate on a premium SEO optimised WordPress theme for business.

I’ll get is started – barebones (I’ll start with Kubrick and strip it down) and then upload it with a test site running on it that you can examine from the frontend and collaborate on the backend.

It will probably need to be used in conjunction with All In One SEO or similar.

Anyone know how to create a theme option page for the header graphic and CSS style?

Samchez
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

I would say many people don’t know how to properly set up a blog for high SEO however to say Google hates blogs, I have to disagree, in fact i have found the opposite.

I can get a wordpress blog ranking on first page easier and faster than any website I have tried. Ok i do test alot and it has taken some time to figure out this formula however WordPress rocks! (if you know what you are doing)

Thanks for the vid!

defyet
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

Blog’s are a big part of website’s and SEO, its the easiest way to add fresh content to your website which google loves,

I have a dedicated blog site and google indexes the new articles within seconds, i only blog on this every few months, i only use this blog to drop backlinks to my important sites. It ranks for alot of random keywords and also some competitive ones but thats not the main reason for that blog.

I also have a blog on my business website which i post once or twice a week, so im adding fresh unique content to my website on a regular basis. Google loves this, since i have been posting articles my keyword rankings have skyrocketed. I ranked #1 for highly competitive keywords before i started blogging anyway so blogging to keep position #1 for all these competitive keywords is a must in holding my position aswell as link building and onpage seo, with these methods it gives me enough lead to hold that position and also gain new keywords through my blog.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.