Home – New Forums Tech talk 1300 Numbers and people dialing wrongly

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up
    ::

Hello there,

I was wondering how common it is that 1300 numbers attract people making the wrong dial.

I get several per day and it’s annoying/interrupting to deal with (no I’m not optus or a mobile phone repair joint random phone person!). It is probably just that my number is close to someone else’s but was just curious if this is a common thing others experience and whether changing it might make the problem go away.

Anyone else with a 1300 get lots? or get none?

Thank you

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

Hi John,

I’ve have had my 1300 number since about December last year and I don’t recall getting 1 wrong number.
    I guess I’m just lucky.

Have you asked the wrong number calleds … who they are trying to call??

JohnSheppard
    Up

Thank you for the feedback Ray,

Most of them don’t seem to know what they want, most think I’m Optus, some think I’m a phone repair place, but I must admit I have never ask the business name they are after. (which I should!)

When I first got the number, probably 2 years ago now, I initially was getting calls from an online wine place. I tracked them down and found they had my number on their website. That was weird, but I emailed them and those ones stopped coming.

I thought maybe just because 1300 numbers were limited maybe it might have been a common thing to get wrong dialers. Good to know that you don’t get any…..so I think it’s time to change it. (Means I have to reprint everything d’oh…would really cost a lot for me if I was a big joint).

The number is attached to a VOIP line on a fairly low budget provider so the number has probably been around town a bit. Not sure if that would be relevant.

Thank you.

jasonm
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

My first 1300 number was purchased directly to get a number that matched my mobile and I haven’t had any issues with that, but my second number was obtained ‘off the shelf’ through my service provider (thumbs up to telecube) and only after taking it did I think to find out what it might have been used for before. I found out it used to be a mortgage broker and probably get a call every month or so for people looking for the old business.

What’s more annoying is that the 2nd number is answered at a mobile so more expensive for a wrong number.

J

GailH
    • Total posts: 217
    Up

Hi John

It’s common practice in the industry that when someone cancels a 1300 number they no longer require, that number goes into quarantine for a minimum of 6 months before being offered to a new customer.

That’s done to help ensure that you don’t get a lot of calls intended for the previous owner.

It’s a good idea to ask the callers who they are after to see whether someone is advertising your number by mistake. If it’s Optus who are advertising your number, you might even be able to cut a special deal with them if you’re after a new number! :)

Gail

Gridare
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

We have a number that is used on some Microsoft packaging … it’s an overseas number thats 1800 xxx xxx xx. Of course, when they dial it, it comes straight to us. People hear our auto attendant, press a button and then say “Is this Microsoft?”. Used to happen alot, but not so much anymore.

Robert

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

I’ve had my 1300 number for about 12 months and haven’t received even 1 wrong number. I agree that you should try and narrow it down to a particular company and see if they are still advertising that number somewhere – ask the callers to tell you where they found the number.

Cheers,
    John

Allied
    • Total posts: 96
    Up

Hi john

We have problems with our 1300 number. It has been given out by the accounts dept of a large energy supplier in error. For about 18 mths we have been getting calls for them from all over Australia. They are quite abusive at times as they are generally people sorting out incorrect bills. I got so many I had to ask the people phoning who they were what their account number with the energy company was, reference numbers etc. It took months and the help from the ombudsman to get this stopped. Denial was the response from the energy company! But I had too much customer information from their clients. One person even played back a telephone recording which clearly stated to phone my 1300 number. I haven’t had a call for about 2 months now so I hope its sorted. To stop it you need to get ask the phoners what number they called. If it is a dialer error you are stuck with this I guess. If it is actually your 1300 number they are dialing then you will have to also try and get some speciifc information then phone the business handing out your number to fix their system to stop the calls.

Ytelco
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

Have you tried a Google search to see if your number appears anywhere?

If it appears on a website that’s not yours, contact the owner and ask them to change it.

JohnSheppard
    Up

Oddly enough I hadn’t thought to google it!

Well here’s the update:

In the end I just changed it. The people ringing were always confused, half the time they didnt know who they were ringing (seemed like dopey people) and when they did it was a different big telco they were after (vodophone, optus, etc)

I also got one guy threatening legal action lol (he was angry but very restrained and polite).

So I don’t really know what was going down. I suspect it was some backyard telco of some variety they were after.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

We have the same issues with a 1300 phone number, and 1300 fax number – the phone number attracts people looking for Dux hotwater! It seems their stickers look like our phone number but actually one number different… we certainly get more of these around Winter time! Most people are ok, as we just give them the correct number.

Our fax number however appears on an internal dialing list within ANZ mortgage department… we quite often get faxes from one ANZ employee intended for another and containing quite a lot of personal client information relating to their mortgages & finance etc! We have repeatedly rung ANZ (each time we get a fax) to report the error and ask them to update their internal lists … we have even had to ring the same employees several times – you would think they would update them but it still keeps happening! Bet their customers would be pleased to know that strangers are being faxed their personal financial circumstances and records!

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

If ANZ don’t fix it I’d be tempted to ring the customers whose details are on the fax and let them know… sure they’ll fix it pretty quick after that!

DigitalDomination
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

I have a few spare websites i could put your 1300 number on if you like :P

However, i do have 4 different 1300 numbers myself and havent had the problem your having.

Neill
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Changing it is probably the right thing to do. It wouldn’t surprise me if your problems were due to someone else having the number 6+ months ago (as mentioned already) or it being a number that is easily misdialled due to the numbers you have.

Regards, Neill

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.