Home – New Forums Tech talk 17.6 billion Reasons for an SEO Audit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    ::
    NickMorris, post: 148025 wrote:
    I’ve used the word ‘could’ because the more information the better but most businesses, especially small businesses, will be limited by their budgets so an SEO report will likely only focus on a smaller number of aspects.
    Hi Nick,
    I’m 100% with you on this!

Rule 1 of SEO: Never go over the client’s budget.

Getting the client the “biggest bang for their SEO buck” is the primary obligation and it requires a lot of experience and research.

To me, research is the keystone.

As Aidan said, can the SEs “crawl” the site is the first research point and, are there duplicate content issues would be my #2 question?

I’m sure you are as amazed as me at how frequently these issues crop up as problems in small business websites.

I’ll side-step research into specific search words for the moment.

Research into the level of competition for the client’s site would be my next most important research element.

This one goes directly to getting the best SEO bang for the client’s $.

The most time consuming and expensive aspect of SEO can be effective link building.

If you can identify strategies and SEO implementation options that attract potential clients without the need for this aspect of SEO, you will probably get the best value for your client.

Unfortunately, it seems to me there are a bunch of SEO services that make link building the core of what they offer. These are the ones who then complain when Google implements algo changes to wipe out their link building activities. (IMHO)

My experience is that there are many websites who can dramatically increase the volume of relevant SE referrals without using any expensive link building program.
    Regs,
    JohnW

JohnW
    Up

SEO Audit Topic: Level of online competition

In its own way, this is perhaps the single most important issue in an SEO audit, yet it rarely gets discussed. When it is, it is mostly wrongly interpreted, in my experience.

SEO employs two key tactics:

1. To qualify for the search results list for as many relevant search phrases as possible.

2. To rank as high as possible in the search results with the resources available.

Ranking top of the search list is a point scoring competition. If you have a page that is the only one that matches or qualifies for a specific search phrase, it may be ranked #1 with a “score” of 1 “ranking point”.

If there are billions of pages that qualify for the search results list, you need millions of points. (I’m being alogorical here.)

Here is where most people screw up with SEO. They start heading for most used keywords.

WRONG! You want to find the most cost-efficient search phrases to target.

Google makes money by encouraging people to bid up the cost per click of frequently used keywords in Adwords campaigns. It seems many SEO services follow the same process.

There can be less than 10 natural, page 1 ranking positions available to the most frequently use search phrases. If you invest all your resources in competing for them, all you end up in is a rapidly escalating war that the company with the biggest SEO budget aimed at these words will win.

SEOs should be showing small businesses the most cost-effective way of generating business leads or online sales – whatever the site objectives are.

If you are in a market where there are a number of 500kg gorillas using SEO on their websites, first you need to know who they are and then you need to devise ways to side-step them, not try to tackle them head on.

The good news is that in 18 years, I’ve never explored a search market where you can’t find cost-effective strategies and tactics for attracting relevant customers to a website.

Very often it is the 500kg gorilla sites that have been misdirected into using cost-inefficient SEO tactics. :)

The oft hidden SEO secret!
    The most frequently used exact keyword are only targeting about 10% of the people who want your information.

Regs,
    JohnW

cino
    • Total posts: 38
    Up

Good info here thanks for the posts.

I think a good SEO business should also educate clients if they are willing to learn or have the capacity to help with their own business performing better in search. E.g. a lot of link building that affects ranks is now affected by social media and blogging tools, if the client can manage this area themselves and is well educated as to how exactly these tools can be used to help their ranking, then this is practically a cost-free manner they can employ in their own time as a long term plan.

Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556
    Up

Makes sense – I guess like the saying look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves! Lots of long tail keywords that are easier to get will soon add up and are more often than not much more highly targeted

JohnW
    Up
    cino, post: 149111 wrote:
    Good info here thanks for the posts.

I think a good SEO business should also educate clients if they are willing to learn or have the capacity to help with their own business performing better in search. E.g. a lot of link building that affects ranks is now affected by social media and blogging tools, if the client can manage this area themselves and is well educated as to how exactly these tools can be used to help their ranking, then this is practically a cost-free manner they can employ in their own time as a long term plan.
    Hi Cino,
    I agree with your client education comments.

We will part company on links from social media, if you mean Facebook, Twitter and many blog sites.

G has said they can’t read most of these types of links and is mostly using social signals for “query deserves freshness” searches. I don’t think many small business sites will be impacted by this attribute.
    Regs,
    JohnW

NickMorris
    Participant
    • Total posts: 283
    Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up
    NickMorris, post: 150028 wrote:
    Neil Patel’s take on the SEO audit…

http://www.quicksprout.com/2013/02/04/how-to-perform-a-seo-audit-free-5000-template-included/

I got as far as the mention of meta-keyword tags – 😮

Rick | Visible
    • Total posts: 37
    Up
    Aidan, post: 150067 wrote:

Same here….so sad, so so sad.

JohnW
    Up
    I nearly gave up at that point also but to be fair, he does go on to say that he doesn’t recommend their use. ;)
    Regs,
    JohnW
    NickMorris
    Participant
    • Total posts: 283
    Up

Haha, I must’ve skimmed over that bit.

I don’t think he’s done too badly. Its reasonably thorough and up to date. Keeping in mind that no templated approach is going to be able to address everything.

EdmundPelgen
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Hey Guys, I think Annie Cushing’s Audit Checklist is the one to rule them all.

She published this on the Seer Interactive blog and has made the google doc of the audi available to all.

I agree that its horses for courses and budget and site complexity need to be looked at before you do anything.

But if you need the mother of all seo audit checklists then this is it.

http://www.seerinteractive.com/blog/craziest-internet-marketing-audit-checklist-on-the-interwebz

Edmund Pelgen

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.