Home – New Forums Starting your journey 18 y/o from Brisbane, unique idea – but I’ve come to a halt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    TPC
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi Soloists,

I’m a Brisbane soloist, 18 years of age and trying to get my foot firm in the business industry. I like to know myself as someone who takes calculated risk, and see’s opportunities as they arise.

Mid last year I was sitting on the couch listening to the radio, Nova 106.9 and I heard an Ad, which instantly made an idea click in my head. Over the past 6 months, I have been researching and building the businesses website (because its primarily a product/service) based concept online.

It uses a subscription billing system with automatic billing, all members are part of the club.

There are very few running expenses with the concept I have thought of.

The concept is Supplements on Subscription, and I have called it The Protein Club (Website: au.theproteinclub.com). It was quite a job building the site to cater for my needs, ensuring it was secure and fully automated. I trademarked the name etc and then I signed a partnership/trading application with a leading supplement supplier who are offering wholesale pricing with great margins. It primarily taps into the niche market of bodybuilding and people who want to get fit which is certainly a growing industry. Marketing would also aim to target Men who would find it easier getting there supplements automatically delivered. Being a club and having members, partnering with gyms and offering discounts to members, discounts on apparel – basically everything that a club like RACQ does only for fitness.

My question is, I have the concept, I have the website and business almost completed with regards to the construction and development phase, but being 18 and not having a lot of experience in Marketing the concept, and getting it off the ground for a limited budget, I’d be interested in some mentoring/possible partnership deal with a marketing expert or I’m sure there would be other options I could take up to take this a whole lot further!

I’m hoping FlyingSolo can give me a helping hand!

Many Thanks
    Zac Darch

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Marketing is going to be key with what you are doing!

The problem you may have is finding your marketing expert when you have little or no budget. Hopefully you can find someone who perhaps is interested in a partnership but be wary – Partnerships can be more trouble than they are worth.

Gain yourself a business adviser, business coach or business mentor who can help you move forward in your business.

Your concept is sound but it needs good strong promotion to gain your followers and there are many ways of doing this low cost and get people talking.

ThexArm
    • Total posts: 253
    Up

Congrats Zach for getting your idea to this level.

I hope there may someone come along to help you kick start your entrepreneurial journey. I wish you all success.

One area I would strongly advise you to concentrate is “Selling”. Equip yourself with solid sales experience. Single most important skill to excel in business.

Since you are young and ambitious I suggest you to look at the below links. Flying Solo is very good starting point. Good that you are already part of it. They offer some solid ground for people like you.

http://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/

http://www.fi.co/ Founders Institute – They have chapters in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth. In fact both Sydney and Melbourne are about to run their startup bootcamp. It is a thriving community of entrepreneurs and mentors. There is igh probability to find founders to join you.

Craig.Smith
    • Total posts: 167
    Up

Are you able to disclose your prices yet? The main hindrance of buying protein online is that it’s a bulky product so the cost of delivery will consume a good proportion of your profit. I go through about 6kg per month with my local supplier charging about $29/kg for their own branded product.

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Hi Zac, I have had some exposure to the same scenario, therefore have had experience in launching and growing an only health supplement product.

I would be more than happy to help you get this project off the ground.

Taylored
    • Total posts: 44
    Up

Hi TPC and welcome,

Before you rush off and spend one cent on marketing have a read of a book called “Inbound Marketing”. If you have a digital business (or any business really) it is the way of the future in marketing. Essentially you don’t find customers, they find you. Given your age you will take to it like a duck to water. Find out who your customers are or are likely to be and then work out what they want and give it to them…Well it sounds easy. Just an opinion but don’t try to sell to everyone at first. Pick a target group/s and focus your attentions there.

Cheers

Taylored

Prashant Murphy
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Hey Zac

Welcome to the forum.

I would start out networking – in particular, down on the Gold Coast. Just have a look on meetup.com

The lifestyle there is much more suited to your target market and if you invest in attending events there, you will find connections who will ultimately help you get your business working.

Hope it goes well for you!

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Hi Zac,

You’re awesome for two reasons;

1. Because you’re not afraid to ask for help.

2. Because you’re 18 and not afraid of your idea.

Bravo.

Don’t underestimate any marketing skills you already have. Think out of the box, how can I reach people with little or no budget? Know exactly WHO you are targeting – know them inside out :)

Good luck!

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

I was 18 once, ok that was a long time ago.
    Think your concept has a lot of merit, and some of the comments here are good so far.
    One thing I know it may be small and insignificant but have you done a Business Plan ?
    Many of my friends who have become successful started with a business plan, and they made it Flexible. They tell me that they did write out the original business plan and because they adjusted it so many times it is now firmly planted in their head. From time to time they look at the original and are amazed at how close it is to the one they are working on at present. So it becomes your Base to develop your business and ideas from.
    Success will come from your careful planning and development, so just do it.

3ntr3pr3n3ur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 46
    Up

Zac,

Great work getting to this point…!

I’m thinking you need to align with a related industry service/product provider as your first step into marketing…

I know you’d listed it as a potential future option, but I see this as number 1…

The way I see it working is; you get people to sign up to your service when they’re already signing up to something else, like a gym membership for instance…

The potential client will sign a 12 month contract with the gym, and during this process the sales person at the gym will promote your subscription service (for a small commission of course)… The gym will like the concept because they’re now able to provide a more complete service offering to their clients, and they make more money too…

This strategy implemented in a couple of smaller gyms (that don’t carry their own supplments) may be sufficient enough to generate some income that you can then pump into larger scale marketing….

Best wishes…!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.