Home – New Forums New here? Share your story 21 Yr Old Business Owner from Sydney

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brent
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Hey guys and girls,

So it looks like I’ve finally found a great little community of like-minded business owners! I’m excited to be joining and can’t wait to contribute my knowledge and experience, let alone networking with you all.

So my story goes like this…

I’ve always been passionate about owning my own business, what spearheaded this passion was reading Robert Kiyosaki’s book ‘Rich Dad Poor Dad’ when I was about 15 – this pretty much changed the direction of my life.

I’ve never had a proper “job”. Sure, I was cleaning dishes and working part time in cafes but that’s about as far as my experience goes. Not sure whether this is a good or bad thing? Haha.

I began my own little business (at 17) providing graphic and web design services to a very specific niche market and I worked mainly with people overseas – A lot of Americans, Europeans and the occasional Brit and Aussie. I was doing this from home using the family computer and am completely self taught.

This setup had it’s good and bad sides. I mean I could work whenever I wanted but this would also entail me going out till all hours in the morning, drinking copious amounts of beer and sleeping all through the day (what else would you expect from a 18/19 year old?).

Effectively I was living “the dream” but my sense of responsibility for my clients was also beginning to suffer a little… As I grew older and more mature I was able to manage this and get myself back into a routine.

When I was 19 years old I teamed up with a mate who is also a fantastic graphic designer! From then to now we’ve setup a little office which I think is absolutely critical to balance work and “life”.

We are in the stages of expanding and have big ambitions for a successful web design and marketing business targeted at local SME’s. We’ve found a gap in the market and are going to move into it. But, that story is for another day so I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks for hearing me out, I know I’m young but I’m confident I have a lot to offer to this community!

Cheers,
    Brent

FletcherTax
    • Total posts: 347
    Up

Hi Brent

That is one inspirational and honest post. It is hard to start business at any age, and starting at 17 is amazing. I am inspired by your courage!

Personally, (and please don’t kill me anyone) I believe that the younger you are, the more invincible you seem to feel. Whether that’s good or bad and how it translates into business is another story – but the will to go out there and just get going is amazing and one I personally wish lasted a lot longer than it usually does.

I look forward to hearing more about your venture and learning about graphic design!

Janna

P.S Welcome to the Forums!

Mark Prosser
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Hi Brent,

Congratulations on your new business venture!

While Janna does make a valid point, enthusiasm and energy can go a long way in new business so don’t be deterred.

Yours is a very competitive industry and it’s all about marketing. What are your thoughts about this? How comfortable are you selling your products and services?

Cheers,

Mark.

Dream Group
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

Hi Brent,

Welcome to the forums.
    Congrats on your business ventures. I love that you love business as we all do here.
    Where in the Northern Beaches are you located?

Regards
    Warren

CruzAccountant
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

Hi Brent

I liked your story. I also started out quite young (and invincible), and I started off doing something totally unrelated to what I’m doing now. BUT, I learnt a lot from business, just as I know you have and will.

Rich Dad Poor Dad, that turned my way of thinking from a conventional employee type mentality to a business owner / investor. Have you read Cashflow Quadrant? If not, I do recommend it.

Welcome to the forums.

Richard

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Brent,

Welcome to the forums!

Great, honest story you have you there. Are you planning on coming to the meetup in a few days?

@Richard
    – I just reread cash flow quadrant for perhaps the 5th time a few weeks ago. Equally as good as rich dad, poor dad.

CruzAccountant
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

Jake

Do you recommend any other books along similar lines?

Richard

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Have you read all the business classics like …
    “Sun Tsu’s art of war”
    “Who moved my cheese”
    “How to win friends and influence people”

Regards,

Jake

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.