Home – New Forums Starting your journey 2nd Income Sole Trader, payg offsets, partnership – TAX offsets ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    P.Beno
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone !

I have been selling product online & using satellite stores with moderate success. A great 2nd income but I am getting tax quite abit. My primary income is $95k, with my business making $18k p.a.

My wife is not working but does the majority of the pack & sending. (at no cost)

What is the best option to reduce our income tax.

1. Transfer to a partnership as my wife will not pay tax on her 1/2 of the net profit ?
    – if so is this painful, how can I do this & can I still trade while changes are made?

2. If I remain a sole trader can I pay my wife say ‘80%’ of the net profit as her wage to offset the tax & run the business essentially a neutral figure after tax deductions ?
    – If so would I just pay payg & super for my wife, is there anything else to pay her ?

Looking forward to the great advice !!!

P.Beno

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi P.Beno,

Thanks for joining the forum today – it’s great to have you here. :)

You’ll probably need to consult an accountant for specific advice regarding your circumstances, but in the meantime, I hope one of our resident experts will be able to offer you some general info.

In the meantime, congratulations on your progress with your business so far,
    Jayne

Jimmy1
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Time for your wife to learn how to run her own online business. You have enough to do.

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

if your wife has no other income, and is performing large amounts of the work, why not just transfer the business as a sole-trader to her completely?
    at 18,000 PA, she’s below the threshold and would pay no tax.

in terms of employing your wife:
    you’d have to pay her according to the minimum wage, super, you also need workers compensation. you can’t just pay her an arbitrary figure..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.