Home – New Forums Starting your journey 3 Months in start up mode and I still haven’t started. How do I keep the energy alive

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    draz
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

Have recently started up an online business which has seen me quit my day job. Well it’s been 3 months into the planning and the plan is 90% there but unfortunately the website still hasn’t started being built. It will be getting built though as of next week though.

My area of concern is, is that it’s going to be another 2 – 3 months until it’s done, which leaves me with not so much to do. I know there’s a lot I could be doing like researchig etc, which is what I have been doing but my energy level doesn’t feel the same unfortunately as it did in the first few weeks. Has anyone else copped this? As this week was the first week that I questioned is what I am doing right.

If anyone could be kind enough to tell me how to revive the energy, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Tracey Anne
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

Re: 3 Months in start up mode and I still haven’t started. How do I keep the energy a

If I had 2-3 months to kill I would concentrate on things like producing flyers to announce that your ‘business is coming’ (maybe think of some tempting opening offers to lure some customers). Depending on who you want to direct your marketing to, you could get cracking on some letters to introduce yourself and familiarise your potential customers with what you have to offer (sounds old-fashioned I know, but I sent out approx. 250 letters the week before my site went up and got 2 jobs fairly quickly from this). The jobs I got weren’t worth a lot in terms of money, but did heaps for my confidence and gave me some valuable early experience.

My business is also still very young, but I found that just doing anything directly related to my little enterprise – however menial – kept me feeling excited and enthusiastic.

I would also consider (if possible where you live) thinking about whether there’s some kind of short-term TAFE course or study by correspondence which might give some additional knowledge or skills to help you in your future business.

Failing all that, if you still have time to kill maybe think about some short-term casual work to at least keep some cash coming in while you’re in limbo.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Re: 3 Months in start up mode and I still haven’t started. How do I keep the energy a

Hi draz,

In addition to all Tracey Anne’s great points, maybe this is a good time to be doing some networking. Have you got your business cards yet? If so, I would be out and about introducing myself to people. And if not, I’d be getting them designed and printed so that you have one less thing to do later.

Chin up! The enthusiasm will come back shortly!
    Jayne

Paul Serra
    • Total posts: 75
    Up

Hi Draz

I know the feeling , have been looking to start-up for about 2 months now. The energy at the start is so overwhelming and now i feel like it weakens from time to time especially in the research and number crunching mode. “Analysis paralysis” make sure you don’t over analyse soooooo much that your too scared and dont take a foot forward. I think everyone gets this way at one stage or another. Im still working at the moment so its even harder to find time to relax – but sometimes you really need to. Im not telling you to do nothing but to wait for website, because research is needed. Just remember you also need time for yourself to space out and just relax, take a couple of minutes maybe every hour get some fresh air, stretch our just take some alone time that seems to help me .

Cheers

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

I can relate to the analysis paralysis. So many different nieches, hard to chose the best one. Too much darn choice.

I think it sometimes best just to do stuff, let the market decide. Sell stuff even if you don’t have a product :) <-- exageration

FionaFell
    • Total posts: 342
    Up

Maybe I’ve missed it but what will your website sell?

Can you sell some before hand to get some $ in, and some experience under your belt?

Perhaps you could work on your business processes: write them down so you know what to do when your first order comes in. And you can then use these docs to teach ‘staff’ down the track.

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up

Our golden rule for all startups – must must must have at least one business partner to help counter the energy dips on tough days or weeks. Not saying you can’t find other ways of pulling through (and some people are just born with endless energy and optimism) but consider partnering or getting a coach / mentor.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    Jay-T
    • Total posts: 119
    Up

Howzit,

I know this one.

The problem with me was that I was planning and….planning and then something would come up which slowed the process and I had to wait a week for this and another week that.

what turned it around was forward momentum.

I don’t know what you’re selling but if there’s a way to connect with others to partner with or make a sale or presentation…DO IT!

The idea of something is always hot at the start then it seems to drop because no or little action has moved you closer to your dream.

Just find a way to use that time productively because when the work comes you’ll wish you’d had.

Keep ya head up though it’s a cool journey! :)

Will

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

set some goals and deadlines.
    Put up some butcher’s paper or whiteboard – look at all the lings that need doing still – there will be plenty I’m sure and put due dates for everything.

Business plan
    Marketing plan
    Suppliers agreements
    delivery logistics
    etc
    etc
    etc

The other questions is why 2-3 months till the site is done?? Sounds like a very long time.

In the interim do you have a temporary site that can start to generate interest, and most importantly get found by the search engines??

You may find you can start to generate business with just a few quicky pages.

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

draz, post: 26249 wrote:
    Hi all,

[snip]
    My area of concern is, is that it’s going to be another 2 – 3 months until it’s done, which leaves me with not so much to do.
    [snip]

As others have said – 2-3 months sounds like a huge development effort!

Get something up next week!!

It might not look perfect but it’s pretty important to get started!
    Make it happen, when you are the boss/owner it all comes down to you, no one else will come along and say, if we tweak this, or remove that we can have something up next week. You will have to start solving these problems on a daily basis. The better you are at solving these little problems the more successful you will become.

Look at alternatives.
    Can you get your developer to get basic site up next week?
    Can you get someone else to do it?
    Can you do something yourself?
    This is it right now! This is your future livelihood at stake!

Was it Tony Robbins who said “TAKE MASSIVE ACTION NOW”?

Good luck :)

Scott Brown
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Hi Draz,

You’ve got some great points from contributors here. Speaking personally, I’m 6 months into my business, and really the thing that keeps me motivated is every day something happens – no matter how small – to remind me why I’m doing this in the first place.

For you, there was obviously a reason why you quit your job and embarked on this. Hold on to that reason, that is one motivator. Another one maybe something as simple as ‘I want to make enough money for ‘x”. For me, I have a Austin Martin DB9 matchbox car sitting above my computer, and a wife wanting a new house! There’s motivation enough!

But really, you have a product or service that you know is a winner. Get the message out right now – network, network, network. Get the interest going now, and the website and everything will flow from that.

Keep it up, you will do well.

Cheers!
    Scott.

Arnold Shields
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

Do not wait until the full site is up and running, you can start now with your site.

My suggestion is get a simple WordPress site up and running now.

Start writing blogs on the subjects (keywords) that are vital to your business. If you have the time write daily. It will build your trust and reputation and trust in your niche.

Get the search engines used to seeing your site and see if you can get some high rankings – It will take a few months to start getting traffic so start now. Learn SEO.

Using Google Analytics, see what keywords are driving people to your site – it will show what people are interested in and maybe you can find some vacant niches to focus your marketing when the real site goes live.

Start developing your inbound links – that is a slow process and takes time so start now.

Find forums and communities that are linked to your product and join and start to contribute with valuable information, become part of those communities. You are just providing helpful info and gaining market intelligence.

If your site structure changes with the full site, do 301 redirects to the new pages and not lose your rankings.

Hope that helps.

Paul Cunningham
    • Total posts: 69
    Up

Hi Draz

Some great advice from everybody here but I suggest you listen closest to what Arnalod Shields has to say – Don’t wait for your website – Do it now!

The best piece of advice anybody ever gave me about moving my business forward was “It is better to do something imperfectly than to do nothing perfectly”*. Remembering this keeps me from the procrastination that can paralyse business. And it doesn’t mean I do things shodding or I accept second best.

*I’m sure this is a famous quote by some one so if anybody has heard it before, I would appreciate knowing the origin.

All the best for your venture

Regards
    Paul

cookiejoe
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Hi draz,

Fellow mates have given plenty of ideas, also can consider them as tasks for you to do. If you can find the motivation, these are probably one of those right things you should be doing.

May I know if you are alone in this? or you have some partners around?
    Actually your question is also my current issue. I tried hard to maintain my energy, but I am working by myself and really we need heaps of discipline to keep going. I understand its really hard to get out sticky butt moving.

I hope to find at least a partner to be doing my stuff together, at least theres someone there to brainstorm with me and correct me if I am wrong.
    Well, hope you can find someone worthy and happy to work together. On the other hand some people like to work alone to avoid any conflicts.

Cheers.

hatchling
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hi Draz,

Some great advice above, but one thing I haven’t seen anyone mention is building your database. If I were you I would be starting an email subscriber database, and start using this to building anticipation to the ‘big launch’.

Even if the website is a couple of months away, I would be doing everything I can to get the interest of potential customers, getting their permission to contact them in the lead up to your launch, and then use this to launch your website/product.

I agree that you need to get a website up as soon as possible. A wordpress website would be a great idea so you can build up followers, traffic and subscribers. Get your name out in your niche market by getting involved in forums, and all in all collect interested people so you can tell them when you are ready to go.

I’d love to hear more about what you have planned, and I may be able to give you further assistance in regards to more specifically what you need. My email address is info[at]hatch-ling.com.au.

Another thing that I would highly recommend is the membership program, Internet Business Mastery (http://www.internetbusinessmastery.com/cmd.php?af=1060220)
    I have recently signed up for this course, and it is the absolute most beneficial and inspiring thing I have done in helping me to start my business. In particular they go through a product(website) launch formula which I think you could really benefit from. I could not have been in the great position I am in now if i didn’t know about this method.

Good luck with your new venture!
    Hope to hear from you :-)

Bec
    Hatchling
    Helping you to start and grow your business online by simplifying the technical stuff, teaching you the fun stuff and guiding you through all the other stuff.
    http://www.hatch-ling.com.au
    info[at]hatch-ling.com.au

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.