Home – New Forums New here? Share your story 31 and ready for the next step – any help is appreciated!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tim Davies
    • Total posts: 45
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

What an awesome place to start for advice and general support. At 31, these days I dont know whether I’m a late, or early starter to give a business of my own a crack.

After slogging my 20’s out in management position working for ‘the man’ – whoever he is – I finally decided, just like most of you here realsied before me, that I actually have what it takes (even if that is only passion) to run my own thing.

With a good friend, complimenting my knowledge of product development, sourcing and importing from China, I’ve started a business consulting company, helping SME’s source, QC and generally just do a damn good job of China. China’s great and can be very profitable, if you do it well. Take it from me, it can be damn challenging and downright costly if you dont have things sorted. http://www.silkroadtrade.com.au is my site.

I’m really looking forward to connecting with as many as possible on the site, who share the same passion of working for a purpose, for yourself and having a good time while doing it.

Cheers

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

Hi Tim

You certainly look younger than that in your photo! :)

So glad to see a company offering what you are. I went to China in 2005 to consider importing products for my retail website but the whole process seemed so complicated, I changed tack and never reconsidered. I’ll bet there are so many businesses who would like to know you exist, so get the word out there fast!

Congratulations on establishing your own business and all the best!

akagrp
    • Total posts: 315
    Up

Hello

Welcome to flying solo one is never too young or to old to start, the Founder of McDonald’s Ray Kroc was 52 and Richard Branson was 17 we he started his first business.

Like you have they had passion, so no doubt we will be reading about you in years to come.

All the best.

Great Website.

FletcherTax
    • Total posts: 347
    Up

Welcome to the Forums Tim!

31 is definitely not old to start. In fact I don’t believe there is a ‘right’ age to start.

You sound like your now enjoying being ‘the man’ and providing business consulting services!

Any hiccups/bumps/ideas along your way – feel free to share and undoubtedly someone will pop out of the woodworks and lend a hand!

Best wishes,

Janna

nadine_zrinzo
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Hi Tim,

Don’t think age makes much of a difference, it really is more of a case of when you feel the time is right and your gut is telling you to jump!

Working with China must be very interesting. I sometimes run events in Hong Kong and Singapore and need Chinese representatives to participate as speakers but it is often quite challenging to get through all their red tape. The language in itself is tough barrier.

Good luck with it all!

Nadine

Karen Wardle
    • Total posts: 363
    Up

Hi Tim, and welcome.

What a great concept!

As Gina mentioned (hi Gina) the red tape and the logistics of it all puts many people off. I think that there are many who will benefit from your service.

As the ladies have all mentioned, I don’t think age is important. Your experience has lead you to where you are now and that is the important thing.

There are a couple of online auction forums that are full off people looking for advice about importing from China. It may not be ideal for you but I am happy to pass on the info and my experiences with it if you are interested. If so just PM me.

Good luck with it, the site looks great also.

Tim Davies
    • Total posts: 45
    Up
    nadine_zrinzo, post: 30056 wrote:
    Hi Tim,

Don’t think age makes much of a difference, it really is more of a case of when you feel the time is right and your gut is telling you to jump!

Working with China must be very interesting. I sometimes run events in Hong Kong and Singapore and need Chinese representatives to participate as speakers but it is often quite challenging to get through all their red tape. The language in itself is tough barrier.

Good luck with it all!

Nadine

Thanks Nadine. Yeah, Im quite familiar with the difficulties, but I enjoy a challenge.
    Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.