Home – New Forums Tell me straight… 3D Website – what do you think

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    shags38
    Participant
    • Total posts: 83
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I recently launched tis website http://www.3d3d.com.au
    At this point in time I am not actually selling product and hence the e-commerce section is not activated. 3D is still very new and most of the product listed on the site is yet to be released. So launching the site is premature however I figured getting it in front of the crawlers now would be beneficial.

I am yet to decide whether to go full blown into an online retail store or settle for some affiliate arrangement(s).

I am really looking for some brutally constructive criticism and some advice – I have put a lot of time and energy into this so far and want to be sure I am heading down the right path, if not then some directions for getting on the right path.

It will be obvious to most that I constructed the site myself using a template.

So now I look forward to comments.

much appreciated,

Mike

http://www.3d3d.com.au

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Hi Mike – you have done a lot to get your site off the ground – however, you need to have contact details that impart trust.
    For example, at least a mobile number, a postal address (post office is ok), and a policy re returns etc. No-one knows where you are based and that can be a problem. You can say, ‘based in Sydney but deliveries national’ after your address as well. You have a good Privacy page but you need to have the Guarantee and Returns Policy page and proper Contact page if you want customers to feel that they can trust and contact you. A hotmail email address does not impart trust I’m afraid. Even if it’s sales@3D…. etc diverted to your hotmail, that looks better on a professional site. The phone number as a small graphic (to avoid the search engines) would be good on each page. Especially important when purchasing big ticket items like yours. For example, Harvey Norman has their phone number on every page at the top.

Do you really need the Google ads? They are advertising items that you would be selling and are likely to take customers away from your site, so they aren’t actually helping you.

Best wishes.

shags38
    Participant
    Up

Many thanks for your comments Karen and you are absolutely correct. I will take your advice onboard. I will also do an about us page to engender even more confidence.I suppose I have neglected this area because I have yet to really get into that phase, the e-commerce aspect.

cheers,
    Mike

shags38
    Participant
    Up

KarenC – replied too quickly, not real good at multi-tasking :). Regarding the Google ads – certainly once I activate the e-commerce aspect of the site the Google ads will be banished (ssshhhhhh – don’t let Google see this) :). Hopefully they may earn me a few pennies, I have ads on my string of blogs as well and on my other 5 active 3D sites – did you see them also? – they are linked from the “partner sites” tab on the page footer.

cheers,
    Mike

kbrookes
    • Total posts: 265
    Up

Absolutely agree with KarenC on this one.

You’ll need to get contact details up. The site currently has a very old-school look about it that I’d find hard to trust unless I could make direct contact.

But to be honest, I probably wouldn’t purchase from this site anyway.

I’ve said this in another thread, but I personally find that if a site lacks polish, I feel like they would treat my custom with equal disregard.

Things I would fix:

• Get rid of the 90’s background
    • Use a simpler template or fix the myriad alignment issues of the images
    • Use better images
    • consider alignment more carefully
    • be consistent with fonts faces, font colours and alignment
    lutrov
    Participant
    • Total posts: 134
    Up

I agree with @kbrookes as far as the design goes, it looks like something from the 1990’s. Was “semi-retro” your design intention?

I also think you have credibility problems with the content. The opening paragraph of your home page says:

“3D Televisions 3D Computers 3D Laptops 3D Phones 3DCameras 3D Glasses 3D Movies 3D Games 3D Digital Picture Frames 3D Music DVDs 3D Optics 3D in Cars 3D Accessories”

This offers no value to your readers and looks to me like a bunch of keywords targeting search engines.

You also seem to be using three font colours in your content. There’s black, but there’s also two grey tones too. This is distracting.

You also have some dead links which still point to your development PC, instead of a file on your server.

It looks like you used some cheap software to create your pages, get rid of it and start again. Or perhaps just get a professional to redo the whole thing.

An important component of any website design is to establish trust. Your current design fails to do that. Address this issue and you’re on your way towards offering something useful.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.