Home – New Forums Tell me straight… 99 Design logo Poll: What is your favourite?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #979308
    Rico
    Member
    • Total posts: 137
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hello everyone!

    I need help. I need a new logo to be used on the web site and printed materials, and I started a contest on 99designs.com

    For people that don’t know this web site, this is how it works: you just write what you need, decide how much you want to pay, and designers from all over the world will fight to get the prize! It is an Australian web site (based in Melbourne) that is doing very well all over the world (no affiliations at all, I heard of them for the first time 2 weeks ago).

    Anyway, they are submitting some really nice logs, and I organised a poll for you to vote. I’d really appreciate your help. I can also ask the designers to modify any detail, so if you have any suggestion I can pass it on.

    I need something simple, easy to remember, in white/orange/black, but also suitable to be printed on termal labels (black and white)

    This is the poll:
    http://99designs.com.au/logo-design/vote-l1tfk3

    Thans
    Rico

    #1113432
    Divert To Mobile
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Rico,

    WOW some of those are really good.
    what did you set your budget at to attract that calibre of response?

    NVM I see $299

    Steve

    #1113433
    Rico
    Member
    • Total posts: 137
    Up
    0
    ::
    Divert To Mobile, post: 126756 wrote:
    Hi Rico,

    WOW some of those are really good.
    what did you set your budget at to attract that calibre of response?

    Steve

    AUD299 plus GST (being an aussie business of course they charge GST)

    not the cheapest option out there, but the results are guaranteed. There are companies offering thousands of dollars on a design, usually a brochure but even a full page web site

    #1113434
    Rico
    Member
    • Total posts: 137
    Up
    0
    ::

    The link to all the logos submitted is this: http://99designs.com.au/logo-design/contests/logo-adventure-friends-156031http://99designs.com.au/logo-design/contests/logo-adventure-friends-156031

    New good logos keep coming, so it is hard to do a poll!

    It is really a tough decision

    #1113435
    Divert To Mobile
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    0
    ::

    terrible thing to have dozens of great logos to choose from ;)

    Steve

    #1113436
    bluepenguin
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up
    0
    ::

    I won’t go into a big designer’s rant about why these sites are not as amazing as they seem, I’ll just give you this:

    http://99designs.com.au/logo-design/contests/logo-adventure-friends-156031/entries/16

    and this:
    http://www.squareknotapp.com/features.html

    and this:
    http://www.999images.com/view-mountain-climbing-1280×800.html

    and leave quietly.

    #1113437
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    0
    ::
    bluepenguin, post: 126764 wrote:
    I won’t go into a big designer’s rant about why these sites are not as amazing as they seem, I’ll just give you this:

    http://99designs.com.au/logo-design/contests/logo-adventure-friends-156031/entries/16

    and this:
    http://www.squareknotapp.com/features.html

    and this:
    http://www.999images.com/view-mountain-climbing-1280×800.html

    and leave quietly.Your point?

    They have taken a silhouette of a climber from a stock image and created a clever logo out of it. Should they have drawn the climber free hand?

    People draw inspiration from many different sources.

    Yes, you should be careful when using any designer that they haven’t totally ripped somebody else work off. Any designer, not just competition sites.

    But the fact that the silhouette of the climber comes from an actual photo of a climber is not that shocking.

    I use a combo of designers and 99 designs when tasked with creating logo’s for my clients, and 99 designs has given me better results each time, simply because of the variety.

    #1113438
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    0
    ::
    Rico, post: 126757 wrote:
    AUD299 plus GST (being an aussie business of course they charge GST)

    not the cheapest option out there, but the results are guaranteed. There are companies offering thousands of dollars on a design, usually a brochure but even a full page web siteI use the next level and pay about $800 – $1000 for a logo from 99 designs. You find the quality and amount of entries really go up.

    #1113439
    Rico
    Member
    • Total posts: 137
    Up
    0
    ::
    MatthewKeath, post: 126770 wrote:
    I use the next level and pay about $800 – $1000 for a logo from 99 designs. You find the quality and amount of entries really go up.

    thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, my budget was quite limited in this case, but I found out that if you go to invite designers you like (you can send up to 30 invites) and you keep sending feedbacks, you get lots of entries. This will not attract the top quoted designers usually, but in the quantity you can be lucky a nd get the good one.

    I am not here to discuss about 99 designs. I think it is a very democratic way to act, the best designer wins, how simple is that? Anyone can enter.

    #1113440
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    0
    ::
    Rico, post: 126773 wrote:
    thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, my budget was quite limited in this case, but I found out that if you go to invite designers you like (you can send up to 30 invites) and you keep sending feedbacks, you get lots of entries. This will not attract the top quoted designers usually, but in the quantity you can be lucky a nd get the good one.

    I am not here to discuss about 99 designs. I think it is a very democratic way to act, the best designer wins, how simple is that? Anyone can enter.I think it’s a good way to go about it, your logo’s look pretty good. I voted for my favourite and I hope it ends up at the one you choose!

    #1113441
    Astrid
    Member
    • Total posts: 459
    Up
    0
    ::
    MatthewKeath, post: 126768 wrote:
    Your point?

    They have taken a silhouette of a climber from a stock image and created a clever logo out of it. Should they have drawn the climber free hand?**

    People draw inspiration from many different sources.

    Yep, that’s right, inspiration, but not copying 1:1.

    At least I would be careful and check the copyright policies, istockphoto for example has the strict rule that no element of any of their images/vectors can be used for logo designs. I haven’t looked at 999images’ policy though.
    With reverse image search engines around it can get nasty. Can. Doesn’t have to.

    #1113442
    websitedesigner
    Member
    • Total posts: 917
    Up
    0
    ::

    #43 looks great I voted, they all look really good.

    In case you haven’t noticed, a lot of designers don’t like 99 designs. But those results look great to me for the budget.

    #1113443
    BlackCoffeeComms
    Member
    • Total posts: 472
    Up
    0
    ::

    voted :) but I had two I couldn’t decide between

    #1113444
    adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up
    0
    ::
    Astrid, post: 126848 wrote:
    At least I would be careful and check the copyright policies, istockphoto for example has the strict rule that no element of any of their images/vectors can be used for logo designs.

    First up, I agree that that the linked logo is exactly the same as the competition entry. I’m assuming it’s the same person submitting both, and the first entry was not accepted and used. If I’m wrong, then it’s a complete rip off, and a copyright violation.

    Second, istockphoto can write whatever terms they want, and they control copyright over their images and vectors. But they have no legal grounds to stop people using their elements as source material for art. As long as the final product is different enough from the original it’s all good.

    Cheers

    #1113445
    Astrid
    Member
    • Total posts: 459
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Adrian, I completely agree with you on your last paragraph. I think every designer does that. Back in the old days (before the Internet :D) we used magazines and books for inspiration.
    I was just warning against taking elements 1:1 out of any stockmaterial and use them in logos as in wysiwyg. Which you see a lot on 99designs and similar pages, at least with the cheaper offers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.