• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    casben79
    • Total posts: 11
    Up
    ::

Hey peeps, My name is Ben and I have been determined to work from home for around 18 months now and that determination got another kick when i lost my day job.

I dabbled in affiliate marketing and soon discovered that it takes more knowledge and money than I had to get that started, so I have turned to front end website development (HTML, CSS, basic Javascript and am now starting to teach myself PHP)

It has been slow and painfully hard but I am getting there, I now have a steady stream of work from clients from all over the world, and the single unsatisfied customer I have ever had made demands I simply could not keep.

My customer base has expanded to the point that I am now faced with the prospect of starting a business but really don’t know where to start.

I thought that a forum would be a good place to start to get to know some people and ask some questions and learn more about the business side of things.

so Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I am sure to be visiting the forums quite regularly.

Cheers
    Ben

Paul Cunningham
    • Total posts: 69
    Up

Hi Ben

Nice to meet you. Welcome to the forum. Would be nice to know you got all that business without being in business. Do you have a website we could have a look at? And, where about in the world do you operate from?

casben79
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

I don’t have a site together for myself, have been focusing on being able to do what I do very well and lately have been far too busy to think about it, but if you want to know more about the quality of my work you can see my Elance Profile or you can checkout the following sites which I have done.

Kedron Vet : A custom built wordpress theme this is still waiting for final copy and little details.

Roos Rugby, Minis and Juniors, These are three seperate wordpress themes, but are mostly the same, just different colours etc.

A Love Story , definitely not my design, but some nice JavaScript work,

and my blog Quad Core PC

just to name a few.

Have been mostly sourcing work on Elance, but lately has been coming straight from my inbox!

I live in the Wide Bay in Queensland and I definitely thoroughly enjoy the freedom that comes with working at home.

As I am not “employed” by any one company, ( I have 4 companies from the USA, UK and Aus that regularly come to me for development) plus any repeat jobs from previous Elance customers! Would I be correct in assuming that I do have a need to set up a business just to properly and legally keep on top of all the paperwork and tax etc?

Cheers
    Ben

Rhys
    • Total posts: 325
    Up

Ben,

Welcome to the forum, I’m sure you’ll get a lot out of it. In anwser to your last question, yes you should definitely “set up a business”, although this can just be you as a sole trader you don’t necessarily need a company – but it’s worth sorting this out sooner rather than later. How do you handle “all the paperwork and tax” at present?

Happy to talk you through the options on all of these issues if you like.

Cheers, Rhys

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.