Home – New Forums Tell me straight… A blog is born – feedback appreciated!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    donnafrithdesign
    • Total posts: 101
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone!

1. What needs reviewing? (i.e. logo, website, idea etc…)
    Yesterday I launched my very first blog – http://www.donnafrith.com.au/blog – and I have some early-days apprehension about my baby being out in the world! It was a long time under consideration/construction and (like all of our own projects) was done around the demands of all my other work.
    I would appreciate some feedback from those who run blogs or follow blogs, is there anything I have not taken into consideration from a reader/author point of view?

2. What does your business do? AND 3. Who is your target market?
    I’ve been drawn towards starting a blog for awhile for a number of reasons, yet there are so many facets to me (graphic designer, part-time business owner, full-time employee, volunteer, fundraiser) and my life is such a melting pot of projects – I didn’t know how to represent all of this in my blog and make it appealing for a set audience. In the end I decided to use my blog as a platform for various audiences and defined my objectives as follows. I plan to observe how the balance goes.

• Share my experiences as a graphic designer, both inhouse and running my own business, with fellow designers/creatives.
    • Showcase the design projects I produce through donnafrithdesign and offer potential clients an insight into my work, design process and personality.
    • Establish a platform for fundraising for my Youth Challenge Australia placement in 2011, as well as acknowledging my supporters and offering some transparency into my fundraising progress.
    • Share the tales from my Indian volunteer adventure next year.
    • Offer anyone interested a way to keep track of me and all the projects I seem to generate/get involved with.

4. What specific concerns do you have?
    Apart from general feedback, I also wonder what others think of my rationale in using my blog as a melting pot. I see most recommendations are to develop a specific niche and stick to that one speciality for a specific audience, but that doesn’t really work for me. I’m not trying to launch a blogging career, I just want a platform to direct traffic to for various purposes – both for business and for personal-projects. And create a voice, an online personality, to back my projects. I would be interested to hear what people think of this approach.

Thanks everyone! :-)
    Donna

SewSpunky
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

I haven’t had a chance to look much at your blog yet, but the first thing I noticed when I opened it up is that you possibly haven’t thought about different browsers. The laptop I’m currently using is running IE7 (which although old isn’t all that uncommon) and your text all sits on top of itself – not a good look for a graphic designer ;-)

donnafrithdesign
    Up

Hiya Linda, thank you for taking the time to check out my blog! I actually did consider other browsers and all was fine, even now when I look at it in IE7 there aren’t any issues! I’m really puzzled as to what’s happening on your end. I will fnd another computer with IE7 to test it there and have also emailed a developer I work with to get him to take a squiz and help me!

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I really appreciate that :)

kbrookes
    • Total posts: 265
    Up

The layout’s a little broken in Chrome (OS X) & FF 3 (Win & OS X) for me – there’s a weird indent below the leading article and above the date indicator.

The black footer *looks* broken, but I can see from the code that it’s intentional.

IE 6 has far more serious problems.

I know there’s a tendency to ignore IE6, but bear in mind that you can’t trust the W3C stats on this – it’s the ‘confirmation bias’ of that site: users of that site are all web designers and hence have a much lower incidence of IE use overall and virtually nil IE6 use.

A broader spectrum of use shows very different figures, with IE6 having a greater market share than IE7 – which is falling faster! IE6 in more unbiased stats still comprises about 10% total browser market share.

That said, those numbers are likely to be more heavily biased towards corporates – so your actual IE6 readership may be very low.

mark_xpnsit
    • Total posts: 140
    Up

I really like it too, it demonstrates your personal style and skills as a graphic designer and looks different from other ‘blogging’ type websites.

How are you intending to drive traffic to the blog though? just as a link from your main site or through social media etc?

How did you get on in the run?!

donnafrithdesign
    Up

I’m quite embarrassed to be posting such a delayed response to my own thread, but I really wanted to thank the last few commenters for their posts. Life got crazy hectic and I’ve neglected a few things – sorry!

Thank you Kelsey for your detailed comments regarding browser compatability, I appreciate that. I have not had the time to look extensively into fixing these issues yet but will get on it now that things are a bit quieter.

Thanks Nevenka and Mark for the positive feedback on the design :).

Thanks for suggesting the website screenshot links Nevenka, I have implemented that.

I did survive the run Mark and there’s a photo of me with my medal to prove it! It was a lot of fun. I have added a link on my website to my blog, which apart from including a link in my email signatures around the web is pretty much all I’ve done to drive traffic there at the moment.

Apologies again for the late response!!

Kellie Dobbie
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Well, I did visit your blog and everything looks fine. While I’m at it, I took the liberty to post a comment. Have a good day.

donnafrithdesign
    Up

Thanks Kellie – I appreciate that! Have a great day too :)

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I think it looks fantastic, very easy to read.

I am in awe of anyone who blogs or does newsletters – I never have a clue what I can write about!!! lol

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.