Home – New Forums Marketing mastery A Data Base nightmare

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rob Perkovic
    • Total posts: 54
    Up
    ::

We have an existing client. Who has been in the mobile phone repair business for over 15 years now.

Good news is that he has a Microsoft Access data base. I believe it to be a 2000 version.

Bad news is that the data base is a shamble. With multiple entries for same customers served. No easy methods to allow us to market to them as the list needs some serious purging and transformation over to the latest Access.

Question: If you were in our shoes….what steps would you take to rectify and get the data base back into a functioning role?

Total records is an estimate of 50,000 entries.

Entire database has about 20 fields. But our interests lie in key fields, such as first, last names, address, emails, phone etc. Total of 6 – 8 fields

Cheers
    RP

michnichols
    • Total posts: 236
    Up

Hi Rob,

Have come across a few disastrous databases over the years. My worse was a manilla folder of names and addresses that were handwritten, printed emails and scraps of paper or business cards that got retyped every year for an AGM!

Anyway, the best way is to export to Excel and manipulate the data from there, and import back into Access. Without seeing the data and the issues, it is just general advice I am providing. You will find some advice on Microsoft that will help, here is one post.

If you or the client don’t have the resources to do the above, you will find that there are Virtual Assistants who clean and optimise data.

It may be worthwhile considering an alternative solution to Access for importing the data back into, but this will depend on what else the client uses the database for and how the database is being maintained.

Also, you could provide data entry guidelines to ensure that once the database is fixed, it is maintained to a high standard and to your requirements.

Hope that helps.

Michelle

JustJames
    • Total posts: 104
    Up

Export to Excel.

Tidy up.

Import to latest Access (or other database of your choice).

What am I missing?

James

Healthy Personal Finances
    • Total posts: 194
    Up

Totally agree with the above.
    At least in excel you can do vlookup and if functions to work out what records are duplicated, then delete them. Much easier than doing so in Access database.
    Good luck.
    Cheers
    Richard & Stacey

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up
    Rob Perkovic, post: 150792 wrote:
    We have an existing client. Who has been in the mobile phone repair business for over 15 years now.

Good news is that he has a Microsoft Access data base. I believe it to be a 2000 version.

Bad news is that the data base is a shamble. With multiple entries for same customers served. No easy methods to allow us to market to them as the list needs some serious purging and transformation over to the latest Access.

Question: If you were in our shoes….what steps would you take to rectify and get the data base back into a functioning role?

Total records is an estimate of 50,000 entries.

Entire database has about 20 fields. But our interests lie in key fields, such as first, last names, address, emails, phone etc. Total of 6 – 8 fields

Cheers
    RP

Hello Rob

You have to be pragmatic with database nightmares and deal with them based on what you ultimately want to achieve.

You are only going to contact your database via telephone, fax, post or email.

The email address is the only thing that you can ‘cheaply’ know to be true as your starting point.

I would export the database to excel.

I would import the listing into my email marketing platform.

It would accept all of the unique email addresses and give me an exception report for all of the double ups.

I would only review the exception report and decide on what effort is warranted to assess its listings relative to its size versus the whole database. Eg. a couple of percent may not be worth your time?

I would then sit down and think about an initial email blast to the unique addresses.

In that blast I would want them to access their listing and correct their details… it will be a process.

If you need some help with the mechanics just yell out :)

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Rob,

To start with create 2 procedures for new account entry,
    1. which instructs the attendant on the naming methodology for entry of new data.
    2. instruct the attendant on searching multiple fields before creating a new entry.

that will minimise the amount of new duplicate entries into the database.

For cleanup there is no completely automatic way to identify duplicate entries and prune them without the risk of mistakes. so whatever you remove from the primary database be sure to save into a separate database.

Identify the fields which will most likely assist you in identifying duplicates. Run queries and sort the data to group potential duplicates. Print the short list output and manually identify and remove.

Steve

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

Unless you know about databases then the above comments of exporting to excel is your best chance. There are Queries and Macros that you can write in Access to filter the information for duplicates. but are the duplicates just the names or the email addresses?

So to make it easy export to excel, cleanup the data and then it can all be imported back into Access BUT you have to make sure that there is a clear way of using the New Access solution so that they don’t fall into the say mess they are in now.

Good Luck with your database.
    Brent.

Rob Perkovic
    • Total posts: 54
    Up

Thank you to all the replies given.

It confirmed that my inability in the area of “databases” is best resolved by bringing in some one with the skill set.

Much appreciated.

regards
    RP

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

Make sure you provide the person, whom you ask to do the work. a clear plan of what you want and what you are trying to achieve. Separating the data and taking out duplicates is easy but be clear on which type of duplicates you are removing as sometimes you will find that database administrators will enter multiple customer names for each Contact person rather than having 1 customer table and linking it to many contact people for that customer.

Also remember that the customer still needs to use the solution whilst all this is happening, so it may be a good idea to get the New database ready and then over a weekend do the whole export/import and they are ready to do business again Monday morning with no impact to the client.

Good Luck and if you need a hand just sing out.
    Brent

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.