Home – New Forums New here? Share your story A good place to find companies worth cloning?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    garyjames
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I have a question which I think some members may have an answer to.

As background, I am looking to find an internet based business to clone that is in a high-growth ultra-new industry, which is highly profitable and growing in popularity – and introducing that company into the Australian market.

My question is as follows:

What is the fastest and cheapest way to find such companies?

I have found Crunchbase.com is a good source but lacks financials.

Inc500 is good but companies often need at least 3 yers of financials to get on the list, thus making them slightly old industries.

Whogotfunded.com could be good but also appears to lack financials.

I am convinced there is a simple solution to this problem.

Has anybody here faced this same problem and found a good solution?

Kind Regards,

Gary

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Gary,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and thanks for coming aboard :)

Others may have more insight than me, but I think you’ll find that most privately held enterprises keep that information very close to their chests precisely so that what they’ve built can’t be easily copied.

I’ll be interested to read other people’s comments too though,

Jayne

DavidThomas
    • Total posts: 265
    Up

Gary,

I’m sure there are some research/survey companies out there who would collate this type of information.

I would be angry if my business appeared on such lists personally..

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Not wishing to hijack this thread, BUT, if you have a good business model worth cloning, I can guarantee that people will do this.
    My advice is that if you want to protect your turf, trademark and patent what you have so others can’t clone you unless you let them!
    Example, I (think) I invented the concept of educational reptile parties, see the website http://www.reptileparties.com.au for what I do and owning the registered trademark, I make sure that no one else trades under that name at least!
    Lots of people copy us these days by carting snakes and lizards to kids birthday parties, but people look for reptile parties as in us, by the obvious name and so we get the lion’s share of the business.
    When we find bootleggers (which are common), we deal with them!
    Also beware of the smart people who trademark or patent a good invention of someone else and who may then close the original business down! It has happened many times.
    All the best

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.