Home – New Forums Marketing mastery A Google Ad Words question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up
    ::

A few days ago I clicked on a competitor’s Google Adwords link in a Google search I did. Now whenever I visit a site that has Google Adwords I get one of their adverts in front of me?

I assume this is an option Ad Words must allow you to choose? I.E if you have a website that runs an AdSense program, you can elect to show adverts to people based on other Google Searches they have recently completed?

I knew you could target ads say based on interests etc, but I didn’t know you could do this.

Interested to hear thoughts, experiences and any explanation people have on this topic.

Michael

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi there,

the most simple explanation is that the advertiser (not the website owners where you see the ads) has a remarketing campaign to show display ads to visitors that visited his site previously.

It can be quite effective for some advertisers!

Y LearnMarketing
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

Yes, your competitor has set a remarketing Google display network campaign without setting a limitation on how many time their ads will be shown per time frame.

It can be really annoy sometime.

spinninghill
    Up

Thanks heaps. Assumed something like that. I would limit it to maximum five if I did it. Seen their advert 12 times now and it is a little annoying.

Is it very expensive compared to ‘normal’ adwords?

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    spinninghill, post: 184148 wrote:
    Thanks heaps. Assumed something like that. I would limit it to maximum five if I did it. Seen their advert 12 times now and it is a little annoying.

Is it very expensive compared to ‘normal’ adwords?

Why would you set it to 5?

– It takes on average 14 touchpoints before someone will buy from you.
    – The more you market to someone, the more likely they’ll buy from you.

If you went to a website for something you were interested in, but at that time weren’t ready to buy, this is one way that company stays top of mind.

Another way would be to have a great lead-in magnet, get you on the email list, and then woo you that way.

Don’t be too quick to limit it.

Think like a sales person.

The person who gets the order is usually the one who made one extra call than everyone else.

Jenny

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

In my opinion it can get annoying after a while but as Jenny says repetition is good for sales, the trick is finding a good balance for your brand.

As for costs, the display network is generally much cheaper than search ads for good reason, it is display advertising rather than the act of getting a message in front of a person searching for that product.

Of course making it successful depends on your ad design, your sales process, your offer, your website and the rest…

Y LearnMarketing
    Up

I would suggest to set a frequency capping especially for your remarketing campaigns. You will need to do some testings to see which number is appropriate for your brand. We definitely do not want our potential customers think they are stalked.

If your remarketing campaigns don’t perform well, then maybe add the topic targeting to refine it (keyword targeting is required for all of display network campaigns), so your visitors don’t see your ads on every sites they visit.

spinninghill
    Up

Sorry Jenny, a slack reply. Had a very busy week.

What Aiden and Y Marketing said is what I was thinking:

In my opinion it can get annoying after a while but as Jenny says repetition is good for sales, the trick is finding a good balance for your brand.

Y LearnMarketing
    Up

It might be helpful to use Google Analytics to study the behavior of your visitors first.
    Segment your visitors base on their behavior & define your audience in either Adwords or Analytics.

For example, only people who visited a certain section of your site can see your remarketing ads.

You can also set a time frame on your campaigns. Let’s say only show them the ad 30 days after they visited the category page of your ecommerce site & stop showing the ad in 60 days.

Or even create different offers in one ad group.

It’s really flexible on how you can do with your remarketing campaigns.

Mark McDowell
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    spinninghill, post: 184031 wrote:
    A few days ago I clicked on a competitor’s Google Adwords link in a Google search I did. Now whenever I visit a site that has Google Adwords I get one of their adverts in front of me?

I assume this is an option Ad Words must allow you to choose? I.E if you have a website that runs an AdSense program, you can elect to show adverts to people based on other Google Searches they have recently completed?

I knew you could target ads say based on interests etc, but I didn’t know you could do this.

Interested to hear thoughts, experiences and any explanation people have on this topic.

Michael

An important think to note that clicks on a re-marketing campaign have one of the highest conversion rates out of all possible online channels and it’s cheap as chips <$1. Works well when someone visits your site, bounces off because they didn’t like the price of your service and then see another ad for the same service with a free month included for instance.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Mark,

Thanks for joining us on the forums!

If you have a minute, we’d love to hear a little about you over at the “Introduce Yourself” section.

Hope to see you around the place. :)

Dave

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.