Home – New Forums Money matters A GST question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    stevenbowden
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hello, I have just started doing some contracting work and have set up a pty ltd company. I have registered for GST as I hope my first year of income will be above $75,000. I am about to send my employer the first invoice for payment. It’s for two weeks’ work so it’s more than $1,000.

Do I need to include GST on the Tax Invoice? Does the fact that I have registered for GST force me to do this or can I just invoice for the hourly rate?

My company is brand new and hasn’t received any income yet.

Cheers

Steven

FalzonFinancial
    • Total posts: 38
    Up

As your business is registered for GST, most of your income will encompass GST and you must bill your client with a GST compliant invoice. Invoicing on an hourly or fixed basis does not facilitate how you charge GST once you are registered, it is determined by taxable supplies.

Exceptions to this include GST free income items such as:
    – Healthcare
    – Fresh food
    – Some childcare

Hope this helps.

stevenbowden
    Up

Thanks for the reply. I think that clears it up. I think I should have quoted this client an hourly rate (+ GST) but I didn’t so assume I will need to invoice for an hourly rate including GST and absorb the loss. I won’t have many expenses which I can claim the GST to off set at this stage.

Simply Money Honey
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Hi Steven

If your client is registered for GST they will be able to claim the GST back so they may not mind the fact you didn’t quote the GST upfront.

Regards

Gabrielle

stevenbowden
    Up

Thanks Gabrielle.

For now I’ve decided to cancel my GST Registration to make it simple. I can always re-register in the future.

Steven

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Simply Money Honey, post: 191539 wrote:
    Hi Steven

If your client is registered for GST they will be able to claim the GST back so they may not mind the fact you didn’t quote the GST upfront.

Regards

Gabrielle

This is technically incorrect. Under ACCC guidelines you need to quote your price inclusive of all taxes. As I would have assumed that the quoted price includes GSt (Unless specified). So say i was quoted $44.00 I would assume $40 cost of goods and Claim the $4.00 GSt. Under your scenario Steven would have quoted $44.00, than when invoicing it under your scenario he would invoice for 44 plus $4.40 GSt. thus a total of 48.40, but the customer could only claim $4.40, so would effectively be paying a higher price than quoted.

Steven cannot add GST just because he registered since he quoted. Unless he specifically stated in his quote that GST was not included.

Luth6322
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

This is technically incorrect. Under ACCC guidelines you need to quote your price inclusive of all taxes.

That’s interesting, nearly all quotes and/contracts I receive from suppliers are GST exclusive. Do you have something specific from the ACCC that mentions this requirements?

Thanks

Carrie

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Luth6322, post: 191579 wrote:
    That’s interesting, nearly all quotes and/contracts I receive from suppliers are GST exclusive. Do you have something specific from the ACCC that mentions this requirements?

Thanks

Carrie

Component pricing

When you present prices to your customers, you must state the total price of the good or service as a single figure, which is the minimum total cost that is able to be calculated. This should include any tax, duty, fee, levy or other additional charges (e.g. GST or airport tax). You do not need to include optional charges or extras or delivery charges – unless you are aware of a minimum delivery charge that must be paid in which case you can chose whether to include it in the total price or as a separate component.

If you promote a price that is only part of the total price, the total price must also be displayed at least as prominently as the part price. This means that customers should be able to identify the total price in the advertisement just as easily as prices for all the other aspects.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.