Home – New Forums New here? Share your story A humble young bookkeeper in the early stages of her business… :)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BryonyHouse
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hello there,

My name is Delphine, and I am in the very early stages of my venture into running my own bookkeeping and office services business, Bryony House. I live in the north-east of Victoria (Wangaratta, specifically).

A pleasure to meet you all, I’m sure, and would love to hear advice or experiences from any fellow ‘bean-counters’ (which is the corniest term for a bookkeeper, if ever I heard one)!

Have a great day,

Delphine.

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

Hi Delphine,

Welcome and good luck with everything.

Don’t be scared about asking any questions at all – there some are great experienced people on here!

FionaFell
    • Total posts: 342
    Up

Woo Hoo. Someone else from NE Vic/S.NSW!

Welcome Delphine.

Feel free to ask any questions, I am sure you will find many people willing to help out a fellow business owner.

I am based in Albury. Let me know if you ever want to do a Flying Solo F2F, (or [alert: shameless plug] if you ever need a website)

Business Vic
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    BryonyHouse, post: 20229 wrote:
    Hello there,

My name is Delphine, and I am in the very early stages of my venture into running my own bookkeeping and office services business, Bryony House. I live in the north-east of Victoria (Wangaratta, specifically).

A pleasure to meet you all, I’m sure, and would love to hear advice or experiences from any fellow ‘bean-counters’ (which is the corniest term for a bookkeeper, if ever I heard one)!

Have a great day,

Delphine.

Hi Delphine,

Business Victoria provides information and services to support small business. Please visit our website http://www.business.vic.gov.au and sign up to receive our free online newsletter for business news and events.

You can also use and add to our Business Plans and Checklists website:
    http://toolsandtemplates.business.vic.gov.au/

If you are a member of the Association of Accounting Technicians you can contact their head office on tel: 1800 000 961 to request that your business be listed on our Find an Advisor referral list: http://www.business.vic.gov.au/findanadvisor

If you would like to speak to us in person you can also contact our Wangaratta Victorian Business Centre:

Wangaratta VBC
    27-29 Faithfull Street, Wangaratta
    VIC 3677, AUS
    Tel: (+61 3) 5721 6988
    Fax: (+61 3) 5721 2265
    Email: [email protected]

Kind regards,

Business Victoria

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Hi Delphine

Great to have you aboard and I’m delighted Vic.gov have already hopped on to mention some of their great support.

I look forward to seeing you around the forums.

Robert

Accounts Studio
    • Total posts: 516
    Up

Hi Delphine
    Welcome to the forum. I have a bookkeeping agency in Sydney – feel free to ask for advice.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Delphine, My name is Geoffrey, and I work from home in Wangaratta.
    I’m a Cost Planner to the construction industry, mostly working with architects… my profession too is often referred to as BeanCounters … If i can help you out with anything, i’d be pleased to
    Geoffrey

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Hi Geoffrey!

How wonderful to see you in our forums – a BIG, warm welcome to you!

Robert

BryonyHouse
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, and the useful links. :)

@Business
    Vic: the ‘findanadvisor’ link did not work for me.

@FionaFell
    : your ‘shameless plug’ may well prove a good call in the long-run – now when people ask me if I know a webdesigner, I can refer them to your site!

@Geoffrey
    and FionaFell: it’s actually a bit of a comfort to me to know there are a few from the area on here. :) Are either of you members of the North East Young Professionals Network? I was given a flyer in a ‘Welcome to Wangaratta’ pack when I first moved here, but have been too shy to take part, and was wondering if anyone had had first hand experiences with their events.
    http://www.neypn.org/

I am also finding the market research I have to do more than a little daunting! I am a little shy of just approaching people to talk about such things. I have read most of what I can find on flyingsolo.com.au and the forums here, but am still a little lost as to where to start. Have any of you here any suggestions?
    I was thinking of contacting the Australian Beureau of Statistics by phone, as their website is not too user-friendly!

onlineiq
    • Total posts: 93
    Up

Hi Delphene,

If what you are mainly focusing on now is getting customers, then you will have to bite the bullet and get out there despite being shy. I am also by nature shy but have realised that if I don’t do any networking and marketing I simply will not get the work.

Having said that, if you do targeted marketing (after you work out who in particular you want to target as prospective clients), you can do this by personalised emails or targeted printed materials.

Good luck!

Ursh

FionaFell
    • Total posts: 342
    Up

Hi Delphene,

I am not a member of that group, but I have bookmarked the site to take a look.

Let me know if you need a hand with the ABS website, it can be a bit daunting at first, but I have found some useful bits in there.

Give me a call if you feel you need an ear/hand.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.