Home – New Forums Tech talk A lesson learned

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sensory fx
    • Total posts: 92
    Up
    ::

I thought I would share a recent learning experience related to PC maintainence.

Recently I began having problems with my PC shutting down by its self, mainly playing graphic intensive games. I would play for 5 mins or so, then the machine would just shut down.

Generally shutting down like this relates to over heating issues, so I installed some software called AIDA64 to monitor temperatures.

Turns out one of my 2 graphics cards were reaching 130 deg c at which stage the computer safeguard would turn it off.

I opened up the case to find the heat sync caked with dust, so I took it out and blew the dust out with compressed air. I put it back in, and still had the same over heating problem.

Turns out the heat had baked the thermal paste between the GPU and the heat sync. I pulled the card apart, replaced the thermal paste, and bingo, back to normal temps.

The moral of the story is, keep the inside of your machine free from dust.
    The guy at the computer store said he recomends people replace the thermal paste on GPU and CPU once every 2 years as it has a limited life. Over heating is what generally kills computers.

HamishBorthen
    • Total posts: 51
    Up

I remember many years ago when upgrading my 486 to a Pentium (Weee! Doom2 never played so quick) I found a dead mouse in amongst the dust/hair/fur from the cat.

I assume the mouse was running from said cat which lead to death via baking

That being said I’ve still never managed to stop dust and fur getting into my PC’s however I’ve yet to find another mouse…

I guess back then I was a uni student and my general room hygiene was probably quite low :)

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    HamishBorthen, post: 68329 wrote:
    I remember many years ago when upgrading my 486 to a Pentium (Weee! Doom2 never played so quick) I found a dead mouse in amongst the dust/hair/fur from the cat.

I assume the mouse was running from said cat which lead to death via baking

That being said I’ve still never managed to stop dust and fur getting into my PC’s however I’ve yet to find another mouse…

I guess back then I was a uni student and my general room hygiene was probably quite low :)

You sure the mouse wasn’t scouting for locations to seduce that other sexy mouse you have on your desktop into?

wrong-mouse.jpg

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.