Home – New Forums New here? Share your story A new adventure

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    LauraFisher
    • Total posts: 115
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I’m an old member but starting a new venture so I thought I would post here and reach out a little.

I’m in my final year of a Master of Management and my final subject is an entrepreneurial subject so I’m leaping into the world of creating my own business (rather than just managing other people’s businesses which is what I’m actually good at!).

I would love your opinions on my ideas, and (if it’s allowed – admin?) you could even take my survey which would be super helpful!

So, in it’s infancy, my thoughts for my startup are to leverage the skills I have – management – and thus, start an online resource that provides information on management topics to people who don’t identify specifically as managers.

Instead of churning out blog post after blog post, I want to have a monthly theme and all of the “activities” on the website are focused around this topic.

Blogs, articles, forums, maybe a live webinar or debate, live chat, videos – as many inputs as possible all chewing over a particular topic so that by the end of the month, people who have been engaging with the resource have got lots of ideas and different perspectives on the topic.

At the end of the month, a summary that pulls together all of the information, plus all of the information gained through interaction with the community, would be compiled into a newsletter for those who don’t have time to read everything and engage.

I’m trying to discover the most relevant topics that people want to know about – if it’s allowed (just let me know if not, admin) – please take my survey to help me work out whats hot and whats not.

Thanks all – your feedback (constructive, please) would be most appreciated: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FXMFHYZ

Laura

P.S – I’m aware i’ve left out the most important part – how to make money – haha! I figure I’ll build my personal brand and leverage that later on somehow…? I’m a terrible entrepreneur!

dansyd1
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Laura,
    Never call yourself a terrible entrepreneur because TWO of the BIGGEST tech companies today, Facebook & Google, had no idea how they would make money when they started.
    They just wanted to release a product that was superior, and they worked out how to monetise it later.

I would certainly fit into your field (general manager), but the idea for your website dosn’t honestly excite me.
    If your going to focus on a particular field/situation/problem each money, make it a really interesting one (e.g. bullying, strategy, marketing in certain areas). Dont be too general, there are plenty of “power speakers” or “business coaches” around doing that already.
    And if your planning on one topic a month, i would only want to visit twice a month if i was interested in that topic. Maybe have a think about that one-month timeline….perhaps…each topic lasts a month, but one starts every 2 weeks?

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi Laura,

There is a lot of noise and a lot of distractions out there and as every day goes by, the noise grows.

So within that context I would encourage you to think about what areas of management, in your experience, that people have the most or the biggest problems with.

Find your niche.

Good luck.

LeisaM
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Hi Laura,

I’ve completed your survey, although admittedly many of my responses were probably influenced by the fact that I’m a business / organisational psychologist with a fascination in all things related to people at work!

On that note, we’ve probably got some interests in common – feel free to connect here and on LinkedIn if you feel inclined :-)

Like others, I feel there are a lot of very broad topics in there, so it would possibly be good to niche down, possibly? (said by someone who also struggle with this!).

Not sure if any of that helps! :-)

LauraFisher
    Up

Thank you so much for your responses. I completely see your collective point – focus. The results of my survey, so far, put the following management topics at the top of the “interest” list:

Positive Leadership Concepts
    Motivation
    Conflict and Negotiation
    Organisational Culture
    Improving decision making
    Work-life balance

Theses are huge topics in themselves, so I will have a look more closely to see where I can focus in the beginning.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    Up

Hi Laura,
    I also encourage you to think about what and who would actually pay for your services. There has recently been a lot written about the difference between people saying, yeah, that is a great idea to people pulling out their credit cards and actually paying for a service.

LauraFisher
    Up

Yes! Paul I agree – and from my survey it’s funny how the topics within management that stick out are the ones that are entirely related to managing oneself. Majority of people aren’t interested in how better to motivate their team or develop the organisational culture of the organisation – instead they are interested in developing their leadership skills, improving their decision making, and finding work-life balance.

People are inherently self-focused, and my Dad once said to me, people will invest in two things: 1) themselves, 2) their kids.

Will people pay for something which helps them improve themselves?

It depends, I suppose.

My revised idea is the following:

“Self management resources for non-conventional workers”

So I’m going to let that incubate for a bit and see if there is interest.

LauraFisher
    Up

Thanks again everyone for your comments. As i mentioned in the reply to Paul, my idea is taking a turn towards “self management resources for non-conventional workers (aka soloists)”. I want to help soloist get the most out of themselves, so that they can get the most out of their businesses.

So. Where to start? o_O

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    Up

Hi Laura,

There are 2 areas that come to mind to start the brainstorming and they are somewhat connected in that they both relate to improving productivity.

The first one is simply productivity.

This guy is a good example of how to monetise the subject:

http://www.timemanagementchef.com/productivity-tips/

The second idea is around helping people to systematise their businesses so that they can work the 4 hour work week.

Here is a great article from Amanda Wesphal about just that:
    http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/working-smarter/processes/4-hour-work-week

And our founder Robert Gerrish discusses that with her in this podcast:
    http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/working-smarter/insights-award-winning-innovator

Let’s us know what you decide on.

Captain Tali
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Hi Laura!

I agree with many of the comments made above – good content needs to be interesting especially when it comes to rather dry topics. I’ve taken a look at your survey and I think it’s less about gauging which topics to discuss, but more about how to make them interesting and accessible. Don’t overcomplicate ideas and aim to make your discussions relatable.
    Try to put a spin on management by talking about your own experiences and those of others. You can even leverage your authority by giving people advice on how to best manage particularly tricky situations. The live chat you mentioned could act as a great open forum to candidly talk about the unspoken.

All the best with your final year! I’m sure you’ll smash it!

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi [USER=40107]@LauraFisher[/USER],

Does non-conventional workers mean:
    -left handed?
    -creatives?
    -solo business owners
    -employees with ADHD
    -employees whose income is tied to their productivity (salespeople)?

If you can specify it will help you be more focused with your topics or services, and help your customer recognise themselves instantly.

From my own experience, here’s a problem worth solving:
    “Too many business owners have an income that reflects their poor self-management skills instead of their superior skills in their specialty.”

Your services and your blog could both focus on solving this specific problem. You might identify a series of anchors or barriers that you can help people solve systematically. This way yes you’re selling self-management training (or tools) but you’re really selling them a pay-rise, which is a lot easier to invest in and get excited about (a pay rise is never a boring topic).

Good luck!

Dave

LauraFisher
    Up
    Dave – FS Concierge, post: 237979, member: 49676 wrote:
    Hi [USER=40107]@LauraFisher[/USER],

Does non-conventional workers mean:
    -left handed?
    -creatives?
    -solo business owners
    -employees with ADHD
    -employees whose income is tied to their productivity (salespeople)?

If you can specify it will help you be more focused with your topics or services, and help your customer recognise themselves instantly.

From my own experience, here’s a problem worth solving:
    “Too many business owners have an income that reflects their poor self-management skills instead of their superior skills in their specialty.”

Your services and your blog could both focus on solving this specific problem. You might identify a series of anchors or barriers that you can help people solve systematically. This way yes you’re selling self-management training (or tools) but you’re really selling them a pay-rise, which is a lot easier to invest in and get excited about (a pay rise is never a boring topic).

Good luck!

Dave

Hi Dave,
    Great feedback, thank you so much!

I like how you’ve framed the problem in terms of a tangible outcome. This is so useful to think of it like that. You’ve just sent me off on an odyssey of brain storming. Many thanks.

Chrispro
    Participant
    • Total posts: 93
    Up

Laura, Just letting you know, it looks like you have a bit of a typo in the domain name in your signature. You might want to take a look at that. cheers.

LauraFisher
    Up
    Chrispro, post: 238246, member: 84887 wrote:
    Laura, Just letting you know, it looks like you have a bit of a typo in the domain name in your signature. You might want to take a look at that. cheers.

😳 Whoops! Thanks very much for spotting it!

Chrispro
    Participant
    • Total posts: 93
    Up

No probs. All the best!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.