Home – New Forums New here? Share your story A new business…exciting times ahead

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    birchy67
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi All,
    My name is Geoff & I am in the process of starting my own Property Maintenance & Handyman business. This is an exciting time for us & I’m looking forward to getting started asap.

Wanting to own & operate my own business is something I have been wanting to do for some time now, but after my wife had our 1st child a few years ago the security of the excellent paying job that I am still employed in at the moment put starting up a new business on hold. Some of you may say why leave an excellent paying job to start up a new business?, But my current job I work away from home & only see my family 2 days a week, so life is going to be very different for us shortly, but in a good way!

My wife & I have registered the business as a PTY LTD company. We decided with the company structure as our plans for the future are to expand the business & eventually have a fleet of hopefully 3 or 4 vans working for us. We’ve received our ACN but are still waiting for the ATO to issue us with our ABN; So untill then we are at a bit of a stand still as far as getting the printing done of our business cards, flyers to be sent out etc, as we want these things to have our ABN on them. We have just purchased a work van last weekend & have the majority of all the tools & equipment that is required to get started.

Being new to business it would be great to get some feedback, especially from anyone out there who has done or knows someone who has managed to build & operate a highly successful property maintenance/handyman business. There are so many questions I have, but instead of asking them all now I will see if some of my questions are shown as advice on here.

Look forward to hearing from anyone who can offer any sort of advice.

Regards
    Geoff

Cjay
    • Total posts: 183
    Up

Hey Geoff! Good to hear that you’re moving forward to achieve your goals! Being able to see your family more will be a huge pay off in itself. :)

My tip for your business, which is pretty obvious, is to get friendly with a number of property managers in your area. Building a network of property managers will give you a steady stream of clients. Offering them services which don’t gouge from the outset is a great start to getting the ball rolling.

Best of luck with your business!

birchy67
    Up

Thanks Cjay,
    Yes our plan is to speak with quite a number of real estate property managers in the areas we would like to target our business. Also we’re going to speak with some strata companies as well, hopefully to be able to generate some regular on-going work there.

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

Congratulations and best of luck!

Show up on time and clean up before you leave.

Those would be the two most common issues people have when engaging with service providers in your chosen line. Get that right and people will talk about it which will turn into referrals.

birchy67
    Up

Thanks, Yes not being punctual is something I hate, so will definatly will be making that a priority as well as cleaning up after myself. I have had tradesmen come to my place before leaving dirty mud marks on my carpet, it has really bugged me & haven’t used their services again because of it.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Geoff,

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with the business.

Steve

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Well hello and welcome to the fun world of business! :)

Just wanted to note, you aren’t required to place your ABN # on flyers/business cards.. so don’t let that halt your design process (unless, of course you haven’t confirmed your business name).

Best of luck with it! :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.