Home – New Forums New here? Share your story A new member and new to home business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bindah1
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I am a new member and very new to online marketing.

I have recently started up my own online homewares store and need all the help I can get in terms of marketing, lead generation and managing the business.

I have also joined some affiliate programs intending to supplement my income with my affiliate partners all tied in with homewares, garden décor, pets, sports and outdoors

If anyone can give me some clues on how and where I find places to advertise my website and also my affiliate links, I would be very grateful.

I have started my own store as being a 50 year old woman, I have had the year from hell starting with a divorce and not long after that being retrenched from my place of employment in December 2012.

Since being retrenched, I have not been able to secure permanent employment, which is very disturbing, as I have never had trouble gaining employment before. I put it down to my age possibly, or the fact that I am quiet, a little reserved and not an aggressive, in your face person which is what it seems most employees are looking for these days.

Having been knocked back from at least three jobs a week since December, 2012, I started to feel very despondent and started to question my own abilities. However, I came to my senses and realised that if these potential employees cannot see how capable, loyal and honest an employee I could be, then I had to go out on my own.

This is why I am now my own boss, although I am working at a temporary job, which I despise, but it is bringing in the money for now, until my little business is earning enough to allow me the pleasure of not ever having to go back to that awful place.

I hope I haven’t bored anyone reading this, but if you think you may be able to give me some hints and guidance with the launching of my online website, it would be very welcome.

Belinda

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi Belinda

There are a lot of things that you need to be doing and unfortunately there is no quick fix. You really need to be coveting a range of media’s including social media to promote your site.

Think about who you are trying to sell to and from there decide how you are going to get in front of them with your marketing.

Plus making sure the content is fresh and relevant to your customers.

Not to mention adding you site to your signature on this forum.

I am happy to have a chat with you about how I could help you to grow the awareness of your business. Just fill out the contact form on my website and I will be in touch.

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Hi Belinda, Kelly is right, there is no easy answer and it take time to get some traction. Unfortunately what you are experiencing is just a sign of the times. Since the GFC everyone is cutting back. Even business is slower for most. People are just more hesitant to buy. Homewares is a very competitive market with option everywhere, so unless you do this right, you are going to have an up hill battle.

One line marketing is essential, but in my books good old fashion in the trenches marketing still works.

The best advice I can give you is to seek out as many clubs, network meetings and associations as you can. Create a base of raving fans and they can do the selling for you. There is nothing better than word of month. Social media works but once again you need your crowd for this to work.

I hope that give you some direction, but feel free to email me if you need anymore help.

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

Welcome, this forum will help you a lot.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Belinda,

Sorry to hear that you’ve been having a tough time over the past little while, but good on you for deciding to be the master of your own destiny. I hope you never look back.

There is lots of handy info about online retailing here in the forum, and there are also some very experienced people around who are very generous in sharing their knowledge.

You’ll find that you’ll get the best advice by asking specific questions in the most appropriate part of the forum. I recommend that you start with one specific issue that you’re facing in your business and work on that, then move on to the next one.

Good luck with it all, and thank you for joining us,
    Jayne

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.