Home – New Forums Other discussions A penny for your thoughts…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    gmbproject
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hi fellow FS Members,

I have a bit of a pickle, well not so much a pickle, but something which is giving me a few early grey hairs so in lieu of aging early, I wanted to ask your expert opinions. Lay it on, say it how it is, and I will take your pearls of wisdom on board!

I am curious to know, say you wanted general financial advice. You are not at the stage of needing a financial planner, but you are looking for some really good strategies around money, that you can easily implement in your life (could be relating to budgeting, fees, costs, interest etc)

Who do you go to to get this information currently? Or where do you go to get this information?

More to the point, would you be willing to seperate from your hard earned cash and pay for this information (if it came in say ebook form?). Or would there be other formats you would find even more useful.

Curious to hear your thoughts. Like many businesses, I am pondering about different ways to build product around my business, which is currently service related. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you all, have a fab day!

Bernadette….

http://www.getmoneybackproject.com.au
    http://www.mortgagesecrets.com.au

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

I’d probably go to my accountant for that kind of thing personally. They already have a solid impression of my situation financially so I would start there first.

Not sure if I’d pay money for an e-book as I would feel like it’s just a generic “how to” guide and wouldn’t really take into account my personal situation.

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

I’d probably go to my accountant for that kind of thing personally. They already have a solid impression of my situation financially so I would start there first.

Not sure if I’d pay money for an e-book as I would feel like it’s just a generic “how to” guide and wouldn’t really take into account my personal situation.

dextereugenio
    • Total posts: 536
    Up

good question.

business wise, an accountant.

personally. i have NFI.

I dont have several millions to contact a financial adviser, nor would I wish to pay them for the privilege. (if i had that much money it wouldnt be an issue).

i think banks do some sort of personal finance thingy but naturally its targetted at their services.

so you basically need a financial adviser that doesnt charge financial adviser costs….

yeah?

dextereugenio
    • Total posts: 536
    Up

good question.

business wise, an accountant.

personally. i have NFI.

I dont have several millions to contact a financial adviser, nor would I wish to pay them for the privilege. (if i had that much money it wouldnt be an issue).

i think banks do some sort of personal finance thingy but naturally its targetted at their services.

so you basically need a financial adviser that doesnt charge financial adviser costs….

yeah?

gmbproject
    Up

Thanks guys for your thoughts,

It’s a very interesting question…my fear is that people don’t get advice in leiu of not wanting to engage a financial planner (or more so, not being ready to)

I know a lot of people don’t have a strong relationship with their accountants, other than for tax purposes, so what happens then. Do people just do nothing, because they don’t know?

Or is it the same old addage, I will get round to it one day and one day never comes?

The mind boggles….

Thoughts?

gmbproject
    Up

Thanks guys for your thoughts,

It’s a very interesting question…my fear is that people don’t get advice in leiu of not wanting to engage a financial planner (or more so, not being ready to)

I know a lot of people don’t have a strong relationship with their accountants, other than for tax purposes, so what happens then. Do people just do nothing, because they don’t know?

Or is it the same old addage, I will get round to it one day and one day never comes?

The mind boggles….

Thoughts?

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

After my real estate career in 2003, i moved into finance specifically mortgage reduction on the gold coast. the one that charge like crazy to help people reduce their loans within 3-7 years with a tracking software and ongoing coaching.

3 months later i started my own finance broking business. people would ask me to help them with the exact same stuff you asked below and were willing to pay me.

could not give “advice” at that time. did not have accreditation, etc and wasn’t interested because my area of interest was creative financing in real estate.

so yes, people will pay you as long as you make it clear that it’s not advice. focus more on saving money, budgeting but not on investing, wealth creation, etc. for that you need your rg 146 and what not.

what you can do is send a letter to your existing and past clients as well as anyone you have contact details and offer the “budgeting” service.

let me tell you, budgeting is a major problem. people need someone to watch their expense, credit card statement. i once had a client who confessed to having a secret credit card because he was obsessed with toys. the guy is a tradie. go figure.

help people control their budgets. show them a bigger future. people start saving when they have a major plan (world trip, car, first home, marriage, etc) then get in touch with genuine wealth creation experts and do a deal and ofcourse disclose the compensation.

i know of an insurance broker who teaches her clients how to leverage premium payments to fund the purchase of their car using spreads and arbitrage. maybe this is a different topic.

ultimately, you are a broker and smart brokers make the most money because they leverage other people’s time, expertise, money, products, staff, systems, operations, resources and pool them together.

gmbproject, post: 101783 wrote:
    Hi fellow FS Members,

I have a bit of a pickle, well not so much a pickle, but something which is giving me a few early grey hairs so in lieu of aging early, I wanted to ask your expert opinions. Lay it on, say it how it is, and I will take your pearls of wisdom on board!

I am curious to know, say you wanted general financial advice. You are not at the stage of needing a financial planner, but you are looking for some really good strategies around money, that you can easily implement in your life (could be relating to budgeting, fees, costs, interest etc)

Who do you go to to get this information currently? Or where do you go to get this information?

More to the point, would you be willing to seperate from your hard earned cash and pay for this information (if it came in say ebook form?). Or would there be other formats you would find even more useful.

Curious to hear your thoughts. Like many businesses, I am pondering about different ways to build product around my business, which is currently service related. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Bernadette….

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

After my real estate career in 2003, i moved into finance specifically mortgage reduction on the gold coast. the one that charge like crazy to help people reduce their loans within 3-7 years with a tracking software and ongoing coaching.

3 months later i started my own finance broking business. people would ask me to help them with the exact same stuff you asked below and were willing to pay me.

could not give “advice” at that time. did not have accreditation, etc and wasn’t interested because my area of interest was creative financing in real estate.

so yes, people will pay you as long as you make it clear that it’s not advice. focus more on saving money, budgeting but not on investing, wealth creation, etc. for that you need your rg 146 and what not.

what you can do is send a letter to your existing and past clients as well as anyone you have contact details and offer the “budgeting” service.

let me tell you, budgeting is a major problem. people need someone to watch their expense, credit card statement. i once had a client who confessed to having a secret credit card because he was obsessed with toys. the guy is a tradie. go figure.

help people control their budgets. show them a bigger future. people start saving when they have a major plan (world trip, car, first home, marriage, etc) then get in touch with genuine wealth creation experts and do a deal and ofcourse disclose the compensation.

i know of an insurance broker who teaches her clients how to leverage premium payments to fund the purchase of their car using spreads and arbitrage. maybe this is a different topic.

ultimately, you are a broker and smart brokers make the most money because they leverage other people’s time, expertise, money, products, staff, systems, operations, resources and pool them together.

Hi fellow FS Members,

Bernadette….

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,738
    Up
    Hi fellow FS Members,

Bernadette….

If its for business advice – try your accountant or someone with a business advisory service.

If its for personal financial planning then I still say try your accountant and seek a referral to a financial planner. Many are sales people with no active portfolio management capabilities.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. info@360partners.com.au www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,738
    Up
    Hi fellow FS Members,

Bernadette….

If its for business advice – try your accountant or someone with a business advisory service.

If its for personal financial planning then I still say try your accountant and seek a referral to a financial planner. Many are sales people with no active portfolio management capabilities.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. info@360partners.com.au www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    gmbproject
    Up
    Khalid Adam, post: 102358 wrote:

Thanks Khalid, I think it is a very interesting conversation. It would appear that there is a gap where people actually don’t get to here about general strategies to improve their financial situation on a day to day basis, which is often what affects everyone’s bottom line to make bigger investment and financial decisions (through a financial planner).

Thank you for your thoughts, its definitely given me more food for thought.

Bernadette

gmbproject
    Up
    Khalid Adam, post: 102358 wrote:

Thanks Khalid, I think it is a very interesting conversation. It would appear that there is a gap where people actually don’t get to here about general strategies to improve their financial situation on a day to day basis, which is often what affects everyone’s bottom line to make bigger investment and financial decisions (through a financial planner).

Thank you for your thoughts, its definitely given me more food for thought.

Bernadette

Andrew Newman
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Hi Bernadette

Are you looking for a financial coach to help you with budgeting, investing, understanding your super (including returns and fees) etc?

There are people who provide this service – such as myself. They would charge on a fee for service basis and provide advice based on strategies and not products.

Financial planning is not only about investing. There are many times I provide strategic advice where there is no investment advice.

Kind Regards

Andrew Newman
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Hi Bernadette

Are you looking for a financial coach to help you with budgeting, investing, understanding your super (including returns and fees) etc?

There are people who provide this service – such as myself. They would charge on a fee for service basis and provide advice based on strategies and not products.

Financial planning is not only about investing. There are many times I provide strategic advice where there is no investment advice.

Kind Regards

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.