Home – New Forums New here? Share your story A personal assistant on tap

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    My Virtual PA
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

“tap, tap,….um…hello…is this thing on….ah..Hi, my name is Sylvia and I’m a virtual personal assistant.
    It’s been three months since I first started.
    I’m like a personal assistant/secretary/typist on tap but I’m cheap for small businesses as they don’t have to pay for office equipment, super, sick/holiday pay etc. and I only charge for the time it takes to do something, be it 5 min or 5 days.

Virtual assistants are huge overseas but I’d like it to be big here too. How do you advertise a business when you first have to explain at length what it is you do? I’m finding it tricky”

Well thanks for reading me :)

Have a really happy week!

FletcherTax
    • Total posts: 347
    Up

Hi

The VA industry is slowly and surely getting a strong following in Australia. Thanks to the GFC, there is an abundance of virtual offices and assistants that have recently popped up.

They all tend to have a unique selling proposition in terms of services offered, industry targeted or location.

There are a couple of VA’s on the Forums and I’m sure they would love to assist.

I would suggest to hang around and contribute to Forums (like this one) and attend networking events geared toward micro and small businesses. Every time you talk to a small business operator – I would suggest to offer services specific and relevant to that particular operator. (ie once heard a VA promote her super dooper power point skills to a tradie, who would most likely not ever need them)

Best wishes and see you around the Forums,

Janna

Barb
    • Total posts: 144
    Up
    My Virtual PA, post: 30367 wrote:
    “tap, tap,….um…hello…is this thing on….ah..Hi, my name is Sylvia and I’m a virtual personal assistant.
    It’s been three months since I first started.
    I’m like a personal assistant/secretary/typist on tap but I’m cheap for small businesses as they don’t have to pay for office equipment, super, sick/holiday pay etc. and I only charge for the time it takes to do something, be it 5 min or 5 days.

Virtual assistants are huge overseas but I’d like it to be big here too. How do you advertise a business when you first have to explain at length what it is you do? I’m finding it tricky”

Well thanks for reading me :)

Have a really happy week!

Hi Sylvia,

Welcome to the forum!! I am also in the same industry as yourself. I started my business about 2 years ago and still find that I have to explain to people exactly what I do. The VA industry is pretty big here (although I can’t compare it to oversea’s as I haven’t experienced that) and there are heaps of VA’s around.

I wish you all the best and hope to see your around the forum :)

Regards,

onlinepas
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Hi Sylvia,

I would suggest participating in a number of VA forums to see what other VAs are doing to market their businesses. I think for most of us, it depends upon what our niche is. I know that what has worked for my business is face-to-face networking, online networking, referral marketing. At this stage, most new clients are word-of-mouth referrals from clients. As time goes on I find myself ‘explaining’ less and less.

I’ve only been in the VA industry for 2 years myself and there are quite a few here in Australia who have been around for more than 10 years who are always very happy to mentor and guide us newbies.

Check out Kathie Thomas’ VAIG group on her website, or Lyn Prowse-Bishop’s AVBN group as well as some other international VA forums. There are quite a few out there and those in the industry are always more than happy to lend you a hand. Just don’t be afraid to ask.

Good luck in your continued business! I hope to see you around on some of the other forums.

Debra

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.