Home – New Forums Starting your journey A place for my business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jessberry
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi. My name is Jess and i am currently unemployed. I have been looking at different business ideas as i really am not keen to stay on Centrelink benefits. A friend who lives in Orange gave me the idea to start breeding dermestid beetles which are tiny black beetles used by taxidermists to clean skulls. Museums also use these beetle to clean skulls for display.

I can’t afford a business premises and i live in a small unit. However me and my partner just rented an old shed from the local real estate for a bargain price and we have been using it to store some household goods. I think it was previously used for a tradesmen workshop and we feel it would be good for our business. Any advice on how we would go about approaching the real estate for permission to run the business ? Anything that we could say or do so that they are likely to look on it more favorably ?

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Perhaps look at the NEIS program through centerlink as it is designed to help you get your business started.

jessberry
    Up
    MissSassy, post: 183400 wrote:
    Perhaps look at the NEIS program through centerlink as it is designed to help you get your business started.

Thnx i will find out about that. I am hoping i can get a bit of a head start on my business before neis starts as it is only a six week program and at the end of the six weeks you are expected to have things sorted and almost up and running. I don’t think six weeks is long enough.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    jessberry, post: 183405 wrote:
    Thnx i will find out about that. I am hoping i can get a bit of a head start on my business before neis starts as it is only a six week program and at the end of the six weeks you are expected to have things sorted and almost up and running. I don’t think six weeks is long enough.

Jess,

NEIS is more than 6 weeks. The Cert IV is useful as long as you understand (a) it only gives you knowledge, not experience, and (b) the assessment is done by bureaucrats who only know about box ticking, not surviving without a wage.

Check the ability of your mentor before committing to one. My mentor is good, and knows what is required. A mate of mine went through a different group and it was a totally different story. In my opinion, they were only interested in bums on seats so they get paid from the government, and not really interested in their clients.

We have had a fairly difficult time over the last five years, and the one thing about NEIS that helps us the most is stability of income while developing the business.

I don’t have any suggestions re your business location except to actually talk with your Real Estate Agent directly, but asking indirect questions. Talking directly, not email, phone, etc., allows you to judge their reactions and phrase your next question appropriately. You might start by asking if you are only allowed to store things on the property.

I would also have thought out beforehand your plan to use the property. As a former landlord, I would be wary of anything that changed the property or devalued it. That is, when you walk out of the property, it should be identical to when you walked in, or better. Things that come to my mind from your comments: You are breeding “something”. How do we know this won’t attract vermin, disease, etc. I am speaking from a position of ignorance here, but so will be your agent and landlord.

Darryl

jessberry
    Up
    darryl, post: 183429 wrote:
    Jess,

NEIS is more than 6 weeks. The Cert IV is useful as long as you understand (a) it only gives you knowledge, not experience, and (b) the assessment is done by bureaucrats who only know about box ticking, not surviving without a wage.

Check the ability of your mentor before committing to one. My mentor is good, and knows what is required. A mate of mine went through a different group and it was a totally different story. In my opinion, they were only interested in bums on seats so they get paid from the government, and not really interested in their clients.

We have had a fairly difficult time over the last five years, and the one thing about NEIS that helps us the most is stability of income while developing the business.

I don’t have any suggestions re your business location except to actually talk with your Real Estate Agent directly, but asking indirect questions. Talking directly, not email, phone, etc., allows you to judge their reactions and phrase your next question appropriately. You might start by asking if you are only allowed to store things on the property.

I would also have thought out beforehand your plan to use the property. As a former landlord, I would be wary of anything that changed the property or devalued it. That is, when you walk out of the property, it should be identical to when you walked in, or better. Things that come to my mind from your comments: You are breeding “something”. How do we know this won’t attract vermin, disease, etc. I am speaking from a position of ignorance here, but so will be your agent and landlord.

Darryl

Thanks for the great advice on the neis training which i will certainly take into account. Also great advice on approaching the real estate agent, i know i need to see things from their perspective. I guess if i can show that in some way i can add value or improve the building that would also be looked on quite favorably ? What are some ideas for improving a building ? Sorry that i am very naive in these matters.

jessberry
    Up

Thanks for the advice which is all great. Yes i know i need to see it from the landlords perspective. Would it be possible to get around these kind of problems by breeding my beetles off site (eg a location out of town) and just using the shed as my business address ? I would simply say to the real estate that i use the shed to pack and store my product, with no actual breeding carried out ? Also i am looking at neis it sounds good.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    jessberry, post: 183522 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice which is all great. Yes i know i need to see it from the landlords perspective. Would it be possible to get around these kind of problems by breeding my beetles off site (eg a location out of town) and just using the shed as my business address ? I would simply say to the real estate that i use the shed to pack and store my product, with no actual breeding carried out ? Also i am looking at neis it sounds good.

Jess,

That sounds feasible, but you are the person on the ground with all the information. Use the question about breeding as an example and walk through the whole of your business through the eyes of your agent. Is there anything else that could potentially cause problems for the landlord?

Also, I wouldn’t be too defensive or it will raise questions about what you are hiding. Eg. I would replace “not breeding in the shed” with “they are bred at … and when ready we use the shed for packing…”

Darryl

jessberry
    Up

Thanks…yes i will work on doing it that way. Use shed for packing and find a place to keep insects elsewhere. Hopefully my business can make a profit then i can move into a better premises. I think i will persevere with my business idea…employment situation doesn’t look too good and tired of handing out resumes with no reply.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.