Home – New Forums New here? Share your story A Quirky Quack Gets A Good Smack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    siosism
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

According to a podcast I recently listened to, words with a ‘k’ sound get a lot more giggles out of people than other words. Did my title get one out of you? No? Well, if it didn’t, I at least hope it caught your attention.

Hi, I’m George. I’m a 23-year old freelance web-designer and animator residing in Melbourne, Australia, but don’t really have a home (per se). I’m what you would call a “third-cultured kid.” I enjoy many things from finding connections between seemingly disparate subjects, to drooling over Kikki.k stationary.

I’ve been a subscriber to the Flying Solo e-newsletter for little over a month now, and have really enjoyed its content. I noticed the community forums through the banner at the top of the newsletter, and thought it was time to break out of my comfort zone and learn from some real people. As much as I love reading, I think I’ve gotten lost in all this virtual communication – so much that I’m craving for genuine relationships of quality, not quantity.

The reason why I joined is because I’ve been struggling to make something out of my current blog. I’ve been looking for some successful examples of people (like myself) who love very many different things, but have managed to put all their passion under one hood. My findings are as listed:

Collis Ta’eed of FreelanceSwitch
    Oprah
    Anythony Fisher
    Simon Collison

Now, although I know I could divide my chosen topics into separate sites, or even separate sub-domains, why can’t I have them under one? What are the pros and cons? What type of questions am I forgetting to ask myself here?

To gain better exposure, I’ve started writing some guest posts. My first requests have been made by ThesisThemeHQ and TimberwolfHQ.

Thank you in advance, and I look forward to making some genuine connections here!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi George
    Welcome to the forums – this is a great place to make those ‘real human’ connections you’re looking for.

Lovely to meet another fan of FreelanceSwitch too :)

All the best
    Jayne

siosism
    Up

thanks Jayne! What’s your favorite part of FreelanceSwitch?

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Hey George,

Welcome to the forums! Nice website you have there =)

A blog I work on (with a few others) gains quite a bit of traffic – http://www.emroypost.com.au

We are always looks for new guest posts, and I’ve notice some posts on your site are business / social media related. Be sure to send some through =)

– Jake

Anonymous
    Up
    siosism, post: 29779 wrote:
    thanks Jayne! What’s your favorite part of FreelanceSwitch?

I think it’s all pretty great actually George, but I LOVE the Freelance Freedom cartoons: http://freelanceswitch.com/category/freelance-freedom/

Somedays it seems like the cartoonist has been hanging out HERE for inspiration!

Have a great day,
    Jayne

TimberwolfHQ
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Hi George

Thanks for the redirects to my site. If I hadn’t been checkiing my stats I would not have noticed this forum. Thank you again.

I too hope to make some mutually beneficial ‘real life’ connections.

Timberwolf

Anonymous
    Up

Hi Timberwolf,

Thanks for dropping in! I love your blog post about Avatar – great analysis!

Have a great weekend,
    Jayne

siosism
    Up

@Emroy – thanks for that man. Hope last week’s email reached you in good spirits ;)

@Jayne
    – I love the Freelance Freedom cartoons! Such a great idea. Always thought about incorporating something similar into my own site(s).

@Timberwolf – glad you found this too my friend. Hope you increase your sphere of influence here because you have much to give!

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

My main issue with blogs that have very varied posts is that, unless extremely well written or written by somebody influential already, is that I don’t simply have time for them.

I subscribe to a number of blogs, a design one, marketing, spirituality, small business, humour, affiliate focus, Facebook focused, social media – all which post highly relevant posts that relate to what I am interested in. There a zillions of blogs out their, and only a finate number of hours in the day. Sometimes I subscribe to a blog that then strays from what I thought they were going to be posting about, and I generally then unsubscribe.

However, you have hit the nail on the head with doing guest posts. Anybody who wishes to become of blogger / writer of influence need to spend a huge amount of time writing.

If you wish your blog to simply be a creative outlet for yourself, then continue what you are doing. If you wish to either make money, or become influential I would consider narrowing your focus.

P.S – The headline sucked me in – it was the word quirky :) Good luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.