Home – New Forums Marketing mastery A really great example of ‘scarcity’ in marketing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kelly Exeter FS Editor
    • Total posts: 241
    Up
    ::

Hey all

I just finished listening to Robert Gerrish’s podcast with Paul Jones on the science of persuasion (here: http://fsolo.co/1arS4kD) and at the end they got talking about scarcity.

Scarcity is something we’re always taught needs to be injected into any marketing campaign to make it truly effective. But in the podcast Robert mentioned a bit of a different example of getting scarcity to work for him.

What he said was: as a soloist, rather than thinking to himself “I need more clients” he said to himself “I need two clients” … and then got very specific about who those clients were.

I am not sure what the exact results were (for Robert) of thinking the above, but I can see two ways how it would have worked:

1. For himself: instead of using a scattered approach to finding clients, he knew exactly the kind of client he wanted to work with and would therefore have been more likely to go to exactly the right places (ie online, networking events, targeted follow ups, seeking referrals) to find those two clients.

2. For the clients: if 20 people, who might be the kind of person Robert works with, sees he’s available, they might make a mental note to talk to him down the track. But if those same 20 people see that he currently only looking for ‘two clients’ at the moment, you can bet they’re going to try and get in and be one of those two clients

I just thought I’d share that with you all as I know ‘finding clients’ is always topical for soloists!

Kelly x

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Kelly Exeter, FS Editor, post: 209255 wrote:
    2. For the clients: if 20 people, who might be the kind of person Robert works with, sees he’s available, they might make a mental note to talk to him down the track. But if those same 20 people see that he currently only looking for ‘two clients’ at the moment, you can bet they’re going to try and get in and be one of those two clients

x

Kelly, I can vouch for this one from experience, back when i started out there was this one particular street with all the million dollar properties, naturally I wanted to get work therel, managed to get 2 as referals, than did a several flyer drops over a 6 months period with no success.

So than following the above approach, I put out the exact same flyer, but with the words “Due to the move interstate of a current client, we have an opening on Wednesday afternoons for a new client, if interested contact us ASAP, as it is expected to fill fast” within a week we had 3 new clients. we set the expactation that there was only one available time slot, so people rushed in hoping to get it. It does work.

Kelly Exeter FS Editor
    Up

Bert that’s brilliant!!! I love hearing stories like this

thbeach
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

I have to agree, but only if you have existing clients to keep you going ie. pay the bills. I’ve been working with a builder for several years now. I built his second website and wrote some articles that managed to attract a lot of visitors, over 700 a month, and still attracting the same interest 2 years later.

He had a wide price-range of homes that he promoted on his site, but he really wanted to build custom built homes and upmarket townhouses. The margins are much better and it is more satisfying work for him.

He had already built several of his preferred homes, so he could use these to publicise his work. Then he decided he only wanted to do this sort of building work, so he had me build a third website to reflect this.

It worked, and now….he has taken his phone number off his website. You can only contact him though the form on his site and he then chooses who he will respond to. He can only do this because he has a years worth of work in advance.

I know of no other builder who would be game to do this.

Kelly Exeter, FS Editor, post: 209255 wrote:
    Hey all

I just finished listening to Robert Gerrish’s podcast with Paul Jones on the science of persuasion (here: http://fsolo.co/1arS4kD) and at the end they got talking about scarcity.

Scarcity is something we’re always taught needs to be injected into any marketing campaign to make it truly effective. But in the podcast Robert mentioned a bit of a different example of getting scarcity to work for him.

What he said was: as a soloist, rather than thinking to himself “I need more clients” he said to himself “I need two clients” … and then got very specific about who those clients were.

I am not sure what the exact results were (for Robert) of thinking the above, but I can see two ways how it would have worked:

1. For himself: instead of using a scattered approach to finding clients, he knew exactly the kind of client he wanted to work with and would therefore have been more likely to go to exactly the right places (ie online, networking events, targeted follow ups, seeking referrals) to find those two clients.

I just thought I’d share that with you all as I know ‘finding clients’ is always topical for soloists!

Kelly x

Kelly Exeter FS Editor
    Up

Very good point Michael! I can see that creating scarcity from the get go is probably not going to work – you need to have built up some kind of cachet first

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.