Home – New Forums Starting your journey A simple story for a window cleaner …

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up
    ::

I was replying to a thread over at:
    http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/sales-marketing-networking/295-do-you-think-current-climate-will-see-lot-start-ups.html

and thought I would post this little story in a new thread because it is so simple yet so powerful.

At a previous job we used to get the windows professionally cleaned every fortnight. It was done by a large cleaning company and we never really had any issues. They did the job and we paid the bills.

One day a young man walks up to the receptionist and asked if we wanted a quote for cleaning the windows. He wasn’t overly well dressed or overly well presented. He was reasonably clean and tidy though. Looked like a young man who might be a hard worker and could do with a little luck.
    He gave a good price and so we accepted (after going through all of the corporate halabaloo!).

He turned up every fortnight, cleaned the windows and we paid the bills.

As time went on, he started to improve. Had a better car, improved his uniform and I assume was getting lots of other work.

He started with a squeegee and a bucket and ended up with a great little business.

He had a simple thought, but the most important thing was, he acted on it. Went out there knocked on doors and asked if people were interested in his service.

I believe it was Woody Allen who said “Eighty percent of success is showing up”.

Ric Willmot
    • Total posts: 141
    Up

Sound advice and a pertinent example.
    Rgds,
    Ric

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

I see this type of thing happen all the time, and we often encourage people who wish to enter the cleaning industry the same advice to knock on doors start small and develop your business your way.

No one can tell you how to run your business. Its your business and you should run it how you see fit. We cant tell them how to run their business but we can offer some mentoring and networking so they can avoid the mistakes we made.

It is very satisfying to see someone enter our industry with no experience and little capital and within twelve months to two years have a small profitable business, which then allows them to get some good training in the area of the industry they enjoy.

“Eighty percent of success is showing up”.

This is also very true. When I was in the ‘Ragtrade” I showed up ever four weeks. Didn’t always get an order but because the customers knew I would be around in four weeks time they would often wait for my visit rather than give it to someone they only saw now and again if that.

MissieK
    • Total posts: 234
    Up

Great example :) Would I be able to post it on my blog?

Melissa

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up
    MissieK, post: 2364 wrote:
    Great example :) Would I be able to post it on my blog?

Melissa

No problems Melissa :)

MissieK
    • Total posts: 234
    Up

Thanks Ray :)

Melissa

Alchemisst
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Nice story

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.