Home – New Forums Get productive A steady frog diet…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Devan
    • Total posts: 57
    Up
    ::

Hello all,

Been a while since I have posted in here, but thought I might dive back into the pond again, so to speak. :)

I have been following the advice as given by FS – to ‘eat the frog’ on those overwhelmingly busy days. And for the three people on here that have probably never heard the term, it is basically the practice of getting the worst task/job/commitment of the day out of the way early on so you can focus on other (good) stuff.

Problem is, for the past month or more, I have been feeling like EVERY morning has become an ‘eat the frog’ morning. Sometimes more than one. This steady ‘amphibian diet’ has left me feeling a little burned out and disenchanted with everything about my business lately.

I’d like to find out what sort of techniques and tips other soloists may have for rewarding themselves after downing their own frogs?

How do you recharge the tank and get that frog taste out of your mouth, so to speak ??

Cheers,
    Devan

Ruairi
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Hey Devan,
    As a solo Dev myself, I share your pain.

I try not to overwhelm myself with objectives that are too large or complex; that kills motivation. I often break them down into smaller milestones and, since I work from home, separate these with extended coffee breaks, fishing or playing guitar – I often write code with the guitar in my lap. I then feel like I’ve wasted time and need to catch up, so that helps with motivation.

The truth is though that it’s not wasted time. You still think through the problems regardless of how you distract yourself and a lot of development effort is spent thinking, not writing code. When I do get stuck into development, my pathway is pretty clear, I’ve given my brain time to rest and think about how to tackle the problems which leaves me free to enjoy coding.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

I get out into the garden for awhile. I find its a really good change from sitting at a computer all day. While I’m doing the physical stuff outside it clears my head and sometimes really cool ideas just “hop” in!
    {P.S. -I also see heaps of small green frogs in the garden while I’m out there….but I’m a vegetarian… so they are free to do their thing!}

Shes Got You Sorted
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

I love networking on social media, so for me the treat is spending half an hour on Facebook once I’ve eaten the frog. I only allow myself half an hour and then it’s back to it. Whilst social media frolicking may not be your idea of a treat, it doesn’t matter what the treat is, as long as it signifies a break or a treat.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi Devan,

I have to ask – Why so many Frogs?

Naturally we all have tasks that we dislike and yes it is best to do them first, hence “Eat the Frog”, but why are you drowning in Frog soup!

Start transforming your business so there are not so many Frogs, and if you need some help, there are many Flying Soloists here to help.

ThexArm
    • Total posts: 253
    Up

You ‘eat the frog’ only when it is absolutely important and unavoidable.

Not sure what your business is? And what are your passions?? What are your motivational drivers? Why are you even in this business??

Just some questions you need to ask yourself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.