Home – New Forums Starting your journey ABN/Business Name Partnership Catch22

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    CHS
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

My husband and his new business partner are in the process of working out all the required documentation.

Could someone please confirm which form is the most appropriate to fill out first:
    – Business Name
    – ABN

We ask as the business name form makes reference to an ABN (Under Owners – Corporation) and then the ABN form for partnership requests the business name, so we are not sure which should come first.

Possibly ‘Owners – Corporation’ not apply to Partnerships and only the ‘Owners – Individuals’ should be filled out, but this is not made clear.

I know this may come across as a silly question to experienced people in this field, but we do not wish to make a simple mistake.

Thank you.

MattR
    • Total posts: 196
    Up

1. The ABN of the structure comes first e.g for joe & jeff partnership
    2. Once ABN obtained then apply for trading name
    3. Once trading name registered update the ABN records.

akagrp
    • Total posts: 315
    Up

Hi

Matt is correct.

Make sure when applying for ABN, you also tick GST If Applicable, PAYG Withholding if planning to employee staff and also Tax File Number.

As the partnership will require its own tax file number.

Also with Business Application, not sure best way to answer as each state has different layout, but normally the question is advise owner, corporation or partner and you simply complete as appropriate, ie in you case personal names of partners.

Make sure you also have some form of a partnership agreement, as I have seem major issue down track when this is not done at start.

All the best

CHS
    Up

All,

Thank you for clarifying this so quickly for me.

I’m very glad I found this forum. It makes me feel like we have a stronger chance of success with a community like this to turn to.

CHS

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi CHS,
    We’re glad you found us too! Good luck with these initial stages of your start-up, and we’ll look forward to getting to know more about you and your business.

Meanwhile thank you (as always!) to Anna and MattR for being so helpful!

Have a great long weekend folks :)
    Jayne

CHS
    Up

Hello All,

How long should the TFN for a partnership take to process?? We completed all the forms via the ato website last week, and still havent heard anything back… Is this normal to take so long

cheers

CHS

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

It can take up to 28 days to get a response from the ATO.

CHS
    Up

28 days, wow…

That being the case, can we still do the partnership ABN registration without out having received partnership TFN??

Which then leads on to business name registration, bank accounts etc
    ????

cheers
    CHS

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.