Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Accountants arent shy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DanielleW
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi All
    Danielle Watson here, looking forward to browsing the forums. Im a chartered accountant and have a practice in Brisbane – Accounting Affaires. Im a big believer that accountants need to modern up overall – behind the times is behind the times so technology and innovation are extremely important aspects of my business direction and thinking. Im interested really to get deeper into the minds of business owners and their opinions of accountants as their professional advisors, or compliance and not much else providors in some circumstances!
    IT and technology innovation is how I try to value add to my clients in addition to the classical services of an accountant. I like to think I think outside the box too, Im frank and honest and simple in my relations with clients.
    Would love to hear your thoughts, comments, needs and stories about accountants and the profession on general……and no need to be shy!

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Danielle,

Welcome to the forum.

IMO The problem with some accountants is that they are in a big hurry to process your work and get on to the next person.

Steve

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Hi Danielle,

Welcome to the forums! The best accountants I’ve worked with have prepared their clients for EOFY by contacting them in the quarter before to review their records/answer questions to ensure the process post 1 July is more straightforward.

Some accountants I’ve worked with are lousy invoicers – they come in late or have small errors on them… go figure (geddit?!) Must be the plumbers with their leaky taps thing.

All the best with your business.

Sam

DanielleW
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Thanks Sam and Steve for the replies and welcomes! Im not sure if Im replying or quoting or writing in the right box here but I hope u both see this! I note a word that you both used when talking accountants….PROCESS. And I think that word hits the nail on the head when it we look at our shortcomings as accountants historically – our service to you is all just process…….process this, prepare that, reconcile these, lodge those, then sign here,and here and here etc. There’s really not a lot of joy for anyone, accountant or client in many of our services (or processes). Can I say though that most accountant minds are actually process types? Its been studied that a certain personality type is attracted to the profession, the old stereotype of an accountant actually holds some truth. WIth the technology of today, the process part of our work should be done a lot more efficiently and effectively, leaving us as accountants to provide something more than just process to our clients – value, knowledge, experience, ideas. I think the accounting industry is still way behind the times generally when it comes to how engage with our clients. I started in 1995 and technology has come leaps and bounds, but as accountants we are still doing things the same way we did way back when…..’shoe box’ clients are still very common in many firms. Technology should have 90% of us out of a job! Accountants could be like Typists, a job description of the past if we rely on process to earn us a dollar. Firms need to get with the times, embrace some technology and keep up with the ageing younger generation – they demand efficiency and expect technology. For those firms who dont, in the not to distant future, will be firms no longer. We need to work our what it is we do for our clients, specialty or niche perhaps, not try and take on a bit of everything as a sole practitioner, especially in the tax game thats changing all the time and is complex. When we work out what we do, we need to do it well, streamline and make the process side of things more efficient and get out and get working on something thats a little more rewarding and beneficial for all.

EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Hi Danielle,

One thing I can say for sure is that there don’t seem to be enough people offering training with accounting software.

Me for example, I am using the simple plan with Saasu, have worked out most of it myself but there are a couple of things I don’t get, don’t know or am stuck with.

If you want to add more value to your customers who want to use accounting software during the year but come to you at the end of the tax year for the tax return, you could simply offer a one hour customised training session with the client so that they get to know the software. This will ensure that they are not making any mistakes.
    They could already prepare a little list with questions or specific topics regarding the software.

It should also be reasonably priced. I know accountants (sorry for saying this) are charging a fortune per hour (mine wants over $300 being the Principal) which is absolutely ridiculous and not affordable for someone like me who just started out.
    For an hour simple training along the $50 mark and you add great value. Your clients want to come back..

Sorry, I hope I don’t sound like I’m having a whinge… If you were in Melbourne I’d love to be your first client for training. I’m currently overwhelmed with just thinking about the tax return.

Regards,
    Mel

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Welcome to Flying Solo!

Just a tip, if you separate your comments into paragraphs, it’s much easier to read!

Look forward to seeing your around the forums.

DanielleW, post: 126697 wrote:
    Thanks Sam and Steve for the replies and welcomes! Im not sure if Im replying or quoting or writing in the right box here but I hope u both see this! I note a word that you both used when talking accountants….PROCESS. And I think that word hits the nail on the head when it we look at our shortcomings as accountants historically – our service to you is all just process…….process this, prepare that, reconcile these, lodge those, then sign here,and here and here etc. There’s really not a lot of joy for anyone, accountant or client in many of our services (or processes). Can I say though that most accountant minds are actually process types? Its been studied that a certain personality type is attracted to the profession, the old stereotype of an accountant actually holds some truth. WIth the technology of today, the process part of our work should be done a lot more efficiently and effectively, leaving us as accountants to provide something more than just process to our clients – value, knowledge, experience, ideas. I think the accounting industry is still way behind the times generally when it comes to how engage with our clients. I started in 1995 and technology has come leaps and bounds, but as accountants we are still doing things the same way we did way back when…..’shoe box’ clients are still very common in many firms. Technology should have 90% of us out of a job! Accountants could be like Typists, a job description of the past if we rely on process to earn us a dollar. Firms need to get with the times, embrace some technology and keep up with the ageing younger generation – they demand efficiency and expect technology. For those firms who dont, in the not to distant future, will be firms no longer. We need to work our what it is we do for our clients, specialty or niche perhaps, not try and take on a bit of everything as a sole practitioner, especially in the tax game thats changing all the time and is complex. When we work out what we do, we need to do it well, streamline and make the process side of things more efficient and get out and get working on something thats a little more rewarding and beneficial for all.
    TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Hi and welcome!

Love a fresh face and a forward thinker.. you’ve taken giant leaps just by asking!

I completely agree with you, many accounting firms aren’t innovative and are very, erm, ‘visually lacking’.

I also agree that I hate being in touch with them only once a year, when they want something! It’s all about relationship.

Welcome again, I look forward to reading more of your posts!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.