Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Accounting Firm Marketing and Customer Conversions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Adrian B
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi

I have recently started an accounting firm and have a few clients which I work with. However I am trying really hard to get new clients, at present I am still working as a tax consultant with a government department but I really want to get more clients to focus on my business full-time.

I’m currently using facebook and networking events to try and market my services. I refuse to get a website at the moment until a point in time that the business is sustainable so I’m effectively still on a shoe-string budget.

Does anyone have any advice regarding marketing or ways to convert enquiries into customers? Or has anyone started a bookkeeping or accounting firm and had any successful methods of getting new customers?

Cheers

steve201
    Participant
    • Total posts: 280
    Up

Hi Adrian,

I began 11 years ago as a public accountant doing something similar.

Initially I did network meetings but soon found them to political or in a clique here in Melbourne. This made it next to impossible to get new clients.

The issue these days you need a website because that’s how people learn about you as a person. What makes you unique from me? How will people know about you if you have little online presence?

Over 11 years I have used social media and lead generation sites like Oneflare for accounting clients.

I made errors along the way but soon learned from these errors so I did not repeat them.

I have general marketing content on my mobile app called My accountant. It’s not for free, but a DIY facility could be made available to you for a much cheaper rate than the full price.

Let me know if you’re interested ?

Steve

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Adrian,
    Congratulations on starting the business and thanks for posting.

As a general point I would say that word-of-mouth will likely be the most reliable long-term source of clients in my opinion. We do research on Flying Solo and despite the rise of digital/social media, old fashioned word of mouth is still cited as the best source of clients. So it might be worth giving some thought into how you may be able to encourage your existing clients to spread the word. While there are referral incentives you can use, this can often simply be a case of asking them when you talk to them. “I really enjoy working with (small business owners) like you, if you know of other people needing help please send them my way?”

But I would also recommend giving some more thought as to why you refuse to get a website? These days, for referrals and before contacting you, people’s first point of call will be online to check you out – even if just to verify that you are a legit business and get your contact. If they find nothing online that can put people off. For example if you meet someone at an event and they are interested, they may want a brief look at your website before deciding to book an appointment. So a website doesn’t have to be a very active marketing channel, but becomes a ‘check the box’ reassurance as part of the people’s research.

If it’s purely the cost/budget that is putting you off, I would recommend doing some research into the very low or free options available these days as a starting point – for example, even a simple one-page site that had your services, qualifications and contact details would be a great start. I would say the same for a business domain name and email address – often for a very modest monthly fee.

If you’re committed long-term to building a firm, I would think of this as an investment, and one that will pay off if it attracts one client.

Good luck with the growth and if you have questions just let us know.

Cheers, Peter

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    steve201, post: 263472, member: 13649 wrote:
    The issue these days you need a website because that’s how people learn about you as a person. What makes you unique from me?

Confused what you mean here, just looking at your website the only thing that I can tell about you as a person is that you have being in the industry for 20 years. There is really nothing else that tells me anything about you as a person.

steve201, post: 263472, member: 13649 wrote:
    How will people know about you if you have little online presence?

Interesting this, my accountant doesn’t have a website but he is still chasing away new business, a good friend doesn’t have a website, but she still is overrun with business.

And the common theme from both of them, as it is with my business, they get much higher quality clients then others when they talk at networking events.

steve201
    Participant
    • Total posts: 280
    Up

Hi Bert,

I thank you for your feedback.

Ive spent the past week developing plans for a web overhaul and online presence overhaul during 2019.

I have retained a marketer here in Melbourne.

Steve

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.