Home – New Forums Money matters Accounting software

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up
    ::

I use MYOB because my accountant upgrades every year also and can read my files. I just send my MYOB file with my notes and it makes tax time so much easier.
    If you have good accounts your accountant will charge you less.
    It’s also important to know if the accounting software you are using works with GST reports so you can lodge GST properly.

beanydc
    • Total posts: 44
    Up

Advertise, no. Discuss, yes.

The discussion hinges around what they want to achieve, and how to effect that. If software is cost effective AND it achieves what they want, then we ensure that they are partnered with appropriate bookkeepers /trainers.
    Sometimes all they want is drs, sometimes they want cashflow reports. Sometimes they do want a fully tracking system. Sometimes they think they want an inventory system.

Often, they just want to save accounting fees – well, life lesson one

IT IS NOT CHEAPER TO PUT THINGS ON A COMPUTER.
    IT IS NOT CHEAPER FOR THE CLIENTS TO DO THEIR OWN GST

I’ve worked on about 120 different accounting / stock systems – all have their strengths and weaknesses. But the most important key to getting it right is to appreciate the level of understanding of the person doing the data entry. And the best way of effecting this is to read the gl. If they know what they are doing, then there is no need to bring the file in electronically, and if they don’t know what they are doing, there is no way you’d want to clutter up your ledger – it’s better to start from scratch because it is quicker and cheaper.

We have a sub-speciality in doing multi-year return arrears. There’s about five standard reasons why people get themselves in a mess, and for about a quarter of them, it’s becasue they put it all on a computer and didn’t understand, lost the plot, got tired of keeping it up to date, or it crashed. Almost all of those clients are now on banklink with work done in our office.

MYOB is hands-down the worst system for getting people lost, and it’s the worst system for CA’s to support – last time I checked I had 32 different MYOB applications in use by clients (about one each) compared to about 23 clients on Cashmanger, and 13 clients on Easibooks (plus a few more). And now that we’re into a new year, I’m sure my MYOB count will increase. So we not only have to work out what system they’re on, when the client helpfully tells us it’s myob, then we have to figure out the passwords. CM and EB, at a practice level we don’t need passwords – those software providers accept that we are grown-ups.

It’s not about the platform, it’s about the quality of the result. If we get a working result we use it. If we don’t, then we start from scratch. In my experience, the most time expensive solution is to work with bad data and try to correct it.

Denise

MYOB, post: 6066 wrote:
    Denise and Dardee,

Do you advertise the fact that you do all the work without even having to open the business owner’s data file?

@HeatherSmithAU
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Denise,

I think you have highlighted the problem.

You need to get MYOB Company File Manager which opens all version of MYOB or MYOB Accountants Office.

You then would not have these issues.

My personal experience is many business owners are unaware their accountant is not checking under the hood.

It is great that you discuss it with them.

Hopefully business owners are using their accounting software to generate management information, which they can use to manage their business on a daily basis – frankly management of the GST and the BAS side of it should only take 5 minutes or less a quarter.

Everything else they should be doing regardless of GST.

@HeatherSmithAU
    Up
    Dardee, post: 6075 wrote:
    I no longer work in practice so I’m one of those preparing the information for people like Denise. I’m not sure what you mean by “do you advertise the fact”? You make it sound like a dodgy shortcut, but in fact it is far from it. Think of it on a different level. Does the accounting firm working with BHP get their data file?

Just because a business is using MYOB does not mean that they cannot produce a set of accounts the accountant can be happy with to prepare a final set of accounts and tax return from. If all the entries are in and everything balances then there really is no need for the accountant to get the file. All they will be doing is printing the same reports.

Hi Dardee – I respect you as a professional and apologise if my comment suggests anything ‘dodgy’.

This was not my intention.

My experience is that many business owners think their accountant is ‘looking under the bonnet’ and are lterally flabberghasted that they are not.

@HeatherSmithAU
    Up
    KarenC, post: 6076 wrote:
    I use MYOB because my accountant upgrades every year also and can read my files. I just send my MYOB file with my notes and it makes tax time so much easier.
    If you have good accounts your accountant will charge you less.
    It’s also important to know if the accounting software you are using works with GST reports so you can lodge GST properly.

Yes you are correct Karen – there is a list of compliant software on the ATO website – there are literally 100’s of them!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.