Home Forums Starting your journey Activity centre for kids with disability

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • #1000297
    • Total posts: 2

    Hello everyone,

    I am at the very early stages of nutting out business ideas and a plan for an activity centre for children with a disability. It’s not the average play centre with padded gyms, slides and ball pits but more offering classes like Lego, dancing, drama, sensory room and some physical activities also I am sure it will develop with time.

    I’m finding it hard to find the best starting point for information, who I should be contacting first… I am assuming there will be a lot of boxes that will need to be ticked for this type of venture to go forward. I would love any assistance or any pointers of where I could start.

    Thank you in advance.

    Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,141

    Hi and welcome to Flying Solo Selena,

    I guess the question you really need to answer is, do you need more documentation and sign-off than a similar centre designed around able-bodied kids?

    If the answers are no, your State Govt and Local Council will have some guidelines of some sort.

    Being able to talk to existing providers is often a very helpful first step.

    Cheers and good luck.

    • Total posts: 2

    Thanks Paul, I will try those avenues…

    • Total posts: 4,485

    If you meet the requirements you can also get NDIS certification, I would be checking in with them to see what their specific requirements are as that will be a good starting point, plus certification would be a great benefit.

    • Total posts: 14


    Is it a stand-alone facility or within a mixed-use complex like a shopping precinct? Generally, you will need a private certifier (if it is not on council land) to provide the classification of the premises. Given the nature of the activity centre, it is more than likely to be classified as a Class 9b building, a building of a public nature. The Building Code of Australia (BCA) requires that a class 9 building be made fully accessible to, and within all areas normally used by the occupants of the premises. The occupants would include visitors who accompany the children, staff and maintenance personal.

    There are standards and guidelines that need to be followed regardless of the location of the premises. A few points for consideration:

    · AS 1428 : Design for Access and Mobility

    · AS 1428.1.3 (it is a superseded standard, however, given there is yet to be a replacement standard, the clearances specified within the standards still stand.)

    · AS 4685 : Playground equipment and surfacing

    · Children’s play ground guideline (State specific)

    · The plans/ layouts of the centre need to be assessed under the BCA for compliance, certification and DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) related matters.

    · Depending on the nature of the business, you may qualify for NDIS funding if you provide services that fall under the recipient’s plans.

    You will need a team that consists of an interior designer or architect, certifier, access consultant and perhaps a town planer to oversee the DA if it is a standalone facility.

    I hope the above assists,

    • Total posts: 11

    If you see the services you will be providing as therapy for the participants then i would recommend you investigate becoming a NDIS provider and the requirements surrounding providing NDIS services. I would think from your description this would be a part of your market and understanding the processes involved will make it easier to attract clients and get paid for the services you provide to them

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.