Home – New Forums Tech talk adding a blog to an existing website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Buy Australian Made
    • Total posts: 39
    Up
    ::

All websites should be a continuous work in progress mine http://www.BuyAustralianMade.com.au is no different. I am looking to include a blog and have received a quote to add a wordpress blog, which seems a bit high to me. Has anyone had a blog added to an existing website and how much did it cost.

Thanks Stephen
    BuyAustralianMade.com.au

mike_allen
    • Total posts: 74
    Up
    Buy Australian Made, post: 49509 wrote:
    All websites should be a continuous work in progress mine http://www.BuyAustralianMade.com.au is no different. I am looking to include a blog and have received a quote to add a wordpress blog, which seems a bit high to me. Has anyone had a blog added to an existing website and how much did it cost.

Thanks Stephen
    BuyAustralianMade.com.au

Hi Stephen,
    I’m a WordPress addict, I started with a couple of wordpress.com blogs and now I have a few of my own. They are very simple to setup on most web sites. I have had issues where say blog.BuyAustralianMade.com is considered to be an extra web site by the hosting provider and they want extra money for it. Naturally I don’t use hosting like that any more.

Where you can spend money is on theming and tailoring the blog to what you want. There are plenty of free themes http://wordpressthemesbase.com/, that are easy to install. Good hosting providers may even provide an install option to install your own with a click!

I don’t specifically do WordPress installations, but I can, and there are a few forum members that provide a more specific service. If the quote seems high, shop around and ask for a few more quotes :).

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total posts: 87
    Up

Hi Stephen,

Buy Australian Made, post: 49509 wrote:

“Adding” a blog to an existing website isn’t always as simple as it might sound.

If your website isn’t already built in a CMS (such as WordPress), then – ideally – the entire website will need to be rebuilt so as to seamlessly integrate a blog.

Otherwise, you run the risk of having two completely disjointed websites on the one domain.

For example, when I eventually decided to launch my own business blog, I decided to rebuild my entire website from scratch. Now the blog is perfectly integrated into the overall website, which helps my visitors stay on my site longer. Check it out in my signature below to see what I mean.

So that might explain why you were quoted so high (how much were you quoted, exactly?). Basically, “adding a blog” might not end up as simple as just pasting on a page.

If you’re interested in discussing a WordPress installation further, feel free to contact me through my website. I build most of my clients’ websites using WordPress. It’s a terrific CMS not just for blogs, but for entire websites.

altima
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

Do not agree with Adam.
    You can have a blog that is independent from your web site, run in in sub-directory or sub-domain, whatever your SEO expert advice you. You can extract posts from blog (for example via RSS) and post them on your site and have direct links to main web site from the blog, it is not a problem.

Yes, you will have to remember 2 login/password; but you don’t need to rebuild the whole web site to run under WordPress. BTW, while it is great tool for blogging, WordPress is not the best solution for any kind of web site.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total posts: 87
    Up
    altima, post: 49737 wrote:
    You can have a blog to be quite independent from your web site, run in in sub-directory or sub-domain, whatever your SEO expert advice you. You can extract posts from blog (for example via RSS) and post them on your site and have direct links to main web site from the blog, it is not a problem.

Sure, but it’s still two separate, disjointed websites (just like mine used to be before I integrated them both). That was my only point. If a website owner is happy with that, then sure – a blog can be a separate website on the same domain, and the main website doesn’t need to be rebuilt or affected in any way. Obviously, that will reduce the cost.

Personally, I think something that is nicely integrated into the whole website is usually a better option though.

altima, post: 49737 wrote:
    BTW, while it is great tool for blogging, WordPress is not the best solution for any kind of web site.

I agree. While it can be a terrific solution for many websites, I certainly didn’t mean to imply that it’s the best solution for ANY and EVERY website out there. Obviously, no piece of software can make such a broad claim. I just wanted to point out that WordPress is much more than just a CMS for blogs these days. That’s all.

altima
    • Total posts: 131
    Up
    Adam Wozniak – wecancreate, post: 49738 wrote:
    I agree. While it can be a terrific solution for many websites, I certainly didn’t mean to imply that it’s the best solution for ANY and EVERY website out there. Obviously, no piece of software can make such a broad claim. I just wanted to point out that WordPress is much more than just a CMS for blogs these days. That’s all.

woudn’t argue
    Wordpress is a good solution not only for blogs. We made a kind of niche news site based on it for example.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

I don’t think it’s possible for us to tell you if a quoted price is reasonable unless we know what was actually included in the quote.

As mentioned above, there are a huge amount of variables such as whether or not it’s a custom theme or template, whether your site needs to be rebuilt to incorporate the blog etc.

If you give us a bit more understanding of what the quote contained and the price quoted, we may be able to give you a better answer.

– Jake

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I have a free WordPress template but I also found this where you can buy some cheap templates but they look very impressive…

http://themeforest.net/

zhenjie
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

if you are not worried about intergration, I would just install onto a subdirectory (blog.xxx.com.au). Alot of professional sites do this and I think its fine.

How much? You could outsource overseas and get it done for around $100 for installation, plus $100-$200 for a decent theme. Of course, customization might be considerably more. But for a simple blog not much would need to be done imo.

If you like to try yourself. Most Hosting will let you install a WordPress blog with a click of a button (Fantisico, Installatron). Your hosting most likely has this feature already.

Carbonite Australia
    • Total posts: 118
    Up

Have to agree about keeping it all continuous if you can regarding the theme and the design of the site. At Carbonite we have made it a News section of the site and I write an article each week on a relevant topic to place on the site.

What I then do is promote it via Twitter and Facebook so that we can build some more traffic to the site.

Some articles work well and others don’t get that much attention. This week’s article was on backing up your gmail. We received quite a few retweets so it was a good one.

You need to keep your blog updated regularly, I think at least weekly and you should (depending on your business) allow for comments. Spam can be a bit of an issue.

In terms of cost. If you weren’t worried about the site and the blog having continuity (which I think you should be), then setting up a blog should be a couple of hours of work for someone depending how long you take to choose a theme and then what customisation you require.

marvelit
    • Total posts: 169
    Up

if you havent done much work on your website, why not just convert the whole thing into wordpress?

This would obviously cost more but will save a lot of pain in the end, trust me.

mike@engagemarketing
    • Total posts: 300
    Up

Just to add my two cents, our chief blogger at The Blog Designer feels that a blog that is slightly different to your regular website is often a good thing. Users half-expect a separate design as a way of knowing that they are on a blog as opposed to a regular website. Having said that, you want to apply all your design & branding principles to your blog.

Our blogs are $490, fully installed and customised. Give me a buzz at [email protected] if you have any questions or would like to know more.

Cheers,
    Mike

Samot
    • Total posts: 157
    Up

You can install this package on a page,
    http://cutephp.com/
    Its free and has a control panel for the back end.

I have used it and was quite pleased at its simplicity.

Update: Just saw the Blog button on the site, quite a good implementation

Serena Star Leonard
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Hey Stephen,

My business partner wrote a free eBook for people exactly in your position, you can download it here: “9 Important Considerations When Adding a WordPress Blog to Your Website”

I hope it helps!

Cheers,
    Serena : )

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Serena,

That looks really helpful – thanks for sharing it with us :)

All the best,
    Jayne

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.