Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Adding region to URL

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    ::

Hey folks,

So I know the answer to this could be “every little bit helps”, but would still like to get some input…

Doing a new site for client, and at present for the page URLs for their locations they have the suburb name followed by the region name, eg: bondi-beach-eastern-suburbs

And then they will have “eastern suburbs” repeated a couple of times in the content of that page.

I’m of a mind to remove the “eastern-suburbs” because then the URLs will simply look much cleaner, and I’m not sold on there being any value in including in the URL, when the page content should so that same job nowadays.

What do ye think?

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Zava I posted a comprehensive explanation of how to do this on my site some time ago. Hopefully the admins here wont mind me sharing this.

http://www.seopoint.com.au/blog/how-to-build-and-rank-multiple-suburb-pages-in-google-like-boss/

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 259943, member: 39536 wrote:
    Zava I posted a comprehensive explanation of how to do this on my site some time ago. Hopefully the admins here wont mind me sharing this.

http://www.seopoint.com.au/blog/how-to-build-and-rank-multiple-suburb-pages-in-google-like-boss/

There’s a solid answer right there! :)
    I’ve worked on a few of these projects as a copywriter over the years (one for mobile IT company targeting 1000s of suburbs) and it’s well worth understanding this for localised services.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

Doesn’t clarify for me if it would make a huge difference adding to the URL versus having the area name as a heading, within the content …etc, unless I missed something in the article?

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 260049, member: 34615 wrote:
    Doesn’t clarify for me if it would make a huge difference adding to the URL versus having the area name as a heading, within the content …etc, unless I missed something in the article?

Good point. We did use the suburb name in the urls of the projects I did for what it’s worth. But that was a couple of years ago now. [USER=39536]@John Romaine[/USER] may have a view if that is still worth doing or not.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

This site will have the suburb name in the URL (eg, “domain.com/locations/coogee/”), but trying to work out if “coogee-eastern-suburbs” will do any more than simply having “Eastern Suburbs” in the page content, maybe even a H2 below the first H1 …etc.

And I guess my question is whether the added ugliness (and harder to remember) of this longer URL is worth it for the reward it might or might not offer?

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 260053, member: 34615 wrote:
    This site will have the suburb name in the URL (eg, “domain.com/locations/coogee/”), but trying to work out if “coogee-eastern-suburbs” will do any more than simply having “Eastern Suburbs” in the page content, maybe even a H2 below the first H1 …etc.

Don’t do this – domain.com/location/coogee-eastern-suburbs/

Instead, do this – domain.com/location/coogee/

THEN, in your meta tags, you include “eastern suburbs”

So it might look like this…..

Title – Blue Widgets Coogee
    URl – domain.com/location/coogee/
    Desc – Blue Widgets Coogee – ABC Company sells the best blue widgets in Coogee and Sydney’s eastern suburbs. Call today for a free quote.
    H1 – Blue Widgets Coogee, Eastern Suburbs Sydney
    (coogee eastern sydney, coogee eastern suburbs etc)

Make sense?

Avoid the temptation to keyword stuff your URls. Keep it clean.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

That was my feeling, I shall use the “keyword stuffing” term to convince my client of this outcome.

Thanks.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

Question [USER=39536]@John Romaine[/USER], do you think the following would be any less effective than your above suggestion (couple of minor changes more in line with the rest of site at present):

Title – Coogee – Blue Widgets
    Desc – Blue Widgets Coogee – ABC Company sells the best blue widgets in Coogee and Sydney’s eastern suburbs. Call today for a free quote.
    H1 – Coogee
    H2 – Servicing Coogee and the Eastern Suburbs in Sydney with blue widgets

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi [USER=39536]@John Romaine[/USER] – Do you recommend a page (using your example):

domain.com/location/eastern-suburbs/?

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 260075, member: 34615 wrote:
    Question [USER=39536]@John Romaine[/USER], do you think the following would be any less effective than your above suggestion (couple of minor changes more in line with the rest of site at present):

Title – Coogee – Blue Widgets
    H1 – Coogee
    H2 – Servicing Coogee and the Eastern Suburbs in Sydney with blue widgets

You’re over thinking it. Just do it the way I showed you.

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 260079, member: 78928 wrote:
    Hi [USER=39536]@John Romaine[/USER] – Do you recommend a page (using your example):

domain.com/location/eastern-suburbs/?

You could, but the issue is that over time it gets messy. You end up with too many parent categories, your URls become longer than they need to be, and you’re verging on keyword stuffing.

(Also dont forget your main nav and how you anticipate putting that together)

Epsecially if you intend on targeting several cities.

You end up with

domain.com.au/brisbane/northern-suburbs/suburb-name/
    domain.com.au/brisbane/western-suburbs/suburb-name/
    domain.com.au/brisbane/eastern-suburbs/suburb-name/
    domain.com.au/brisbane/southern-suburbs/suburb-name/

1. You’re wasting valuable real estate putting the word “suburbs” in the URl. you don’t need it
    2. Your URls are getting long
    3. You just don’t need to do this. You can add east, west, south etc in other areas of your meta tags (as I outlined above)

An easier eg

• domain.com.au/brisbane/north/
    • domain.com.au/brisbane/south/
    • domain.com.au/brisbane/west/

etc etc

I should point out though that I dont do this. I just do what I showed up above.

99% of people get this wrong because they’re obsessing over trivial stuff and trying “too hard” to stuff keywords.

Domain, region/city, suburb – that’s it.

I follow this rule and can have most pages ranked 1st page in Google within 2 minutes after I’ve published it.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 260100, member: 39536 wrote:
    You could, but the issue is that over time it gets messy. You end up with too many parent categories, your URls become longer than they need to be, and you’re verging on keyword stuffing.

(Also dont forget your main nav and how you anticipate putting that together)

Epsecially if you intend on targeting several cities.

You end up with

domain.com.au/brisbane/northern-suburbs/suburb-name/
    domain.com.au/brisbane/western-suburbs/suburb-name/
    domain.com.au/brisbane/eastern-suburbs/suburb-name/
    domain.com.au/brisbane/southern-suburbs/suburb-name/

1. You’re wasting valuable real estate putting the word “suburbs” in the URl. you don’t need it
    2. Your URls are getting long
    3. You just don’t need to do this. You can add east, west, south etc in other areas of your meta tags (as I outlined above)

An easier eg

• domain.com.au/brisbane/north/
    • domain.com.au/brisbane/south/
    • domain.com.au/brisbane/west/

etc etc

I should point out though that I dont do this. I just do what I showed up above.

99% of people get this wrong because they’re obsessing over trivial stuff and trying “too hard” to stuff keywords.

Domain, region/city, suburb – that’s it.

I follow this rule and can have most pages ranked 1st page in Google within 2 minutes after I’ve published it.
    Thanks for the reply [USER=39536]@John Romaine[/USER] – thumbs up!

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 260099, member: 39536 wrote:
    You’re over thinking it. Just do it the way I showed you.
    It’s actually more inline with the rest of the site being built and other content within the site, hence my query if it would likely work equally as well.
    dynamicdomestics
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

[USER=39536]@John Romaine[/USER] I’ve bookmarked your link to refer back to later. It will be invaluable while I’m drafting the website. Thank you so much for sharing. But right now I have question.

My business will be operating in Victoria. The plan is to target all the places no one ever wants to go. Basically anyone not in a metropolitan area which is approx 45-50% of Victorian population.

Obviously I want to be able to rank for local searches, but I’m not sure the city/suburb example on your blog will work for what I’m planning to do.

To explain…My business will be launching servicing Ballan and immediate surrounds. The closest “city” would be Ballarat or Bacchus Marsh. However, I don’t want to rank or be found for either of those as the business plan is to focus on all the little towns in between.

I had thought of using district>town (Western District>Ballan) but from my research no one is searching “cleaners western district”.

Any help or suggestions would be muchly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.