Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Adventure Friends site improvements. Are we there?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1085778
    Rico
    Member
    • Total posts: 137
    Up
    0
    ::
    t-shirt fan, post: 104080 wrote:
    Hi Rico, well done on creating a really exciting website! If you have a lot of out of stock items, it might be worth considering hiding them from view as customers may get a bit annoyed if everything they click is out. That’s about all I can offer! All the best!

    Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you, and I usually have at least 95% of the items on the site in stock. Sometimes I may not have some of the color variations available, and it may be a good idea to hide that selection… I just need to find a way to do it in automatic now :D

    Rico

    #1085625
    Rico
    Member
    • Total posts: 137
    Up
    0
    ::
    t-shirt fan, post: 104080 wrote:
    Hi Rico, well done on creating a really exciting website! If you have a lot of out of stock items, it might be worth considering hiding them from view as customers may get a bit annoyed if everything they click is out. That’s about all I can offer! All the best!

    Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you, and I usually have at least 95% of the items on the site in stock. Sometimes I may not have some of the color variations available, and it may be a good idea to hide that selection… I just need to find a way to do it in automatic now :D

    Rico

    #1085627
    Rico
    Member
    • Total posts: 137
    Up
    0
    ::
    MillieAbroad, post: 104068 wrote:
    Hi Rico,

    I must confess that I am kind of on the run so only got the chance to take a quick look, but wanted to let you know that first impressions are good. I really like your top menu, and I think the site is easy to navigate.

    I like the colour scheme. The only thing that bothered me ever so slightly after awhile was the moving image on the right. If I was looking at a page for an extended period I think it would increasingly bother me. Having said that, I have another confession – I had just had a champagne (celebrating a business related achievement) and it may have just been that ;combined with fatigue ;)

    Good luck :)

    April

    Congratulation for your achievement!! Any detail on what is it so to feed our curiosity? ;)
    I will have to test your experiment on the side banner… Tomorrow is Australia day, perfect timing! I’ll drink a couple and see what the 3d effect does to my eyes :D

    Rico

    #1085779
    Rico
    Member
    • Total posts: 137
    Up
    0
    ::
    MillieAbroad, post: 104068 wrote:
    Hi Rico,

    I must confess that I am kind of on the run so only got the chance to take a quick look, but wanted to let you know that first impressions are good. I really like your top menu, and I think the site is easy to navigate.

    I like the colour scheme. The only thing that bothered me ever so slightly after awhile was the moving image on the right. If I was looking at a page for an extended period I think it would increasingly bother me. Having said that, I have another confession – I had just had a champagne (celebrating a business related achievement) and it may have just been that ;combined with fatigue ;)

    Good luck :)

    April

    Congratulation for your achievement!! Any detail on what is it so to feed our curiosity? ;)
    I will have to test your experiment on the side banner… Tomorrow is Australia day, perfect timing! I’ll drink a couple and see what the 3d effect does to my eyes :D

    Rico

    #1085629
    AngelaGirl
    Member
    • Total posts: 330
    Up
    0
    ::
    MillieAbroad, post: 104068 wrote:
    Hi Rico,

    I must confess that I am kind of on the run so only got the chance to take a quick look, but wanted to let you know that first impressions are good. I really like your top menu, and I think the site is easy to navigate.

    I like the colour scheme. The only thing that bothered me ever so slightly after awhile was the moving image on the right. If I was looking at a page for an extended period I think it would increasingly bother me. Having said that, I have another confession – I had just had a champagne (celebrating a business related achievement) and it may have just been that ;combined with fatigue ;)

    Good luck :)

    April

    Yes April, do share!

    #1085780
    AngelaGirl
    Member
    • Total posts: 330
    Up
    0
    ::
    MillieAbroad, post: 104068 wrote:
    Hi Rico,

    I must confess that I am kind of on the run so only got the chance to take a quick look, but wanted to let you know that first impressions are good. I really like your top menu, and I think the site is easy to navigate.

    I like the colour scheme. The only thing that bothered me ever so slightly after awhile was the moving image on the right. If I was looking at a page for an extended period I think it would increasingly bother me. Having said that, I have another confession – I had just had a champagne (celebrating a business related achievement) and it may have just been that ;combined with fatigue ;)

    Good luck :)

    April

    Yes April, do share!

    #1085631
    sroberts
    Member
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Rico,
    I really liked the site, great colours and easy to navigate.
    I am a fan of the Top Menu on the first page and kept clicking “Back” as I found it more engaging so I would consider putting that on all the pages.
    Apart from that I thought it was excellent, Congratulations and Good Luck.

    #1085781
    sroberts
    Member
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Rico,
    I really liked the site, great colours and easy to navigate.
    I am a fan of the Top Menu on the first page and kept clicking “Back” as I found it more engaging so I would consider putting that on all the pages.
    Apart from that I thought it was excellent, Congratulations and Good Luck.

    #1085633
    Uncomplicating
    Member
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    0
    ::
    Rico, post: 103916 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

    I’d like to ask your opinion about the new version of my web site.

    http://www.AdventureFriends.com.au

    This time my main focus was to create a site that is easy to navigate, so I designed two separate category menu, on the left vertical panel and on the top. Also, as we sell high end outdoor gear, I tried to create the right color match for the active person (black, grey, orange). The 3D banner was designed by us as well, and I think it is very original.

    I tried to keep the most visible part of the page as clean as possible, so to highlight the free shipping offer.

    The Check out button on the top right changes color when something is in the cart.
    Of course I have the “live chat” and the “contact us” page in evidence, but I decided to move the about us and form of payment at the bottom.

    I decided to leave all the central part to a random product display, as I found that many visitors are repetitive, so they will have different product displayed each time they come.

    The product pages are very clean, with the product description just below the product photo. The features and technical informations are on the right panel, because I think that only some visitor is interested into them.

    Please give me your opinion, and feel free to be very direct :D
    This is version 5 of my site in only 1 year, and I really want to understand if I am getting there.

    Rico

    For the record, I’m using Firefox 10.0.2

    I like it lots. Images are good, navigation is fine for the most part. Good site all in all, but a couple of things.

    1) There’s something not quite right about the way the home page changes when the browser resizes. The right side menu and some of the header is hidden. The centre panel resizes a little and then stops at 7 items wide as a minimum.

    Good, but I think the resizing priorities are not quite right yet.

    2) Rule #1 of good UI design – be consistent. As I’m a completely dumb user, I only have the capacity to learn one thing about how to navigate around your site. So, whatever you make me do, make me do it all the time. Don’t make me work out another technique to get from here to there.

    At the moment, drilling down to a specific product hides both the navigation menu and the right menu. I liked those because I saw them everywhere I’d been previosuly.

    3) Most boxes highlight on MouseOver. Cool stuff, looks nice. Would be better if the whole box (particularly the left menu) was the anchor for the group rather than actually having to click on the title. Reason for this is that you’re providing a visual clue on mouseover, but I can’t actually do anything until I move to a piece of text.

    4) I have a 24″ monitor running 1920X1200, and I’m still not able to see all of the header images, even when maximised. THe header image appears to repeat and that leaves me thinking I’m missing something.

    It’s almost as if you’re not quite sure what’s more important, the content or the side panels.

    All in all, nice site. Hope mine will be that good when it’s done.

    #1085782
    Uncomplicating
    Member
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    0
    ::
    Rico, post: 103916 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

    I’d like to ask your opinion about the new version of my web site.

    http://www.AdventureFriends.com.au

    This time my main focus was to create a site that is easy to navigate, so I designed two separate category menu, on the left vertical panel and on the top. Also, as we sell high end outdoor gear, I tried to create the right color match for the active person (black, grey, orange). The 3D banner was designed by us as well, and I think it is very original.

    I tried to keep the most visible part of the page as clean as possible, so to highlight the free shipping offer.

    The Check out button on the top right changes color when something is in the cart.
    Of course I have the “live chat” and the “contact us” page in evidence, but I decided to move the about us and form of payment at the bottom.

    I decided to leave all the central part to a random product display, as I found that many visitors are repetitive, so they will have different product displayed each time they come.

    The product pages are very clean, with the product description just below the product photo. The features and technical informations are on the right panel, because I think that only some visitor is interested into them.

    Please give me your opinion, and feel free to be very direct :D
    This is version 5 of my site in only 1 year, and I really want to understand if I am getting there.

    Rico

    For the record, I’m using Firefox 10.0.2

    I like it lots. Images are good, navigation is fine for the most part. Good site all in all, but a couple of things.

    1) There’s something not quite right about the way the home page changes when the browser resizes. The right side menu and some of the header is hidden. The centre panel resizes a little and then stops at 7 items wide as a minimum.

    Good, but I think the resizing priorities are not quite right yet.

    2) Rule #1 of good UI design – be consistent. As I’m a completely dumb user, I only have the capacity to learn one thing about how to navigate around your site. So, whatever you make me do, make me do it all the time. Don’t make me work out another technique to get from here to there.

    At the moment, drilling down to a specific product hides both the navigation menu and the right menu. I liked those because I saw them everywhere I’d been previosuly.

    3) Most boxes highlight on MouseOver. Cool stuff, looks nice. Would be better if the whole box (particularly the left menu) was the anchor for the group rather than actually having to click on the title. Reason for this is that you’re providing a visual clue on mouseover, but I can’t actually do anything until I move to a piece of text.

    4) I have a 24″ monitor running 1920X1200, and I’m still not able to see all of the header images, even when maximised. THe header image appears to repeat and that leaves me thinking I’m missing something.

    It’s almost as if you’re not quite sure what’s more important, the content or the side panels.

    All in all, nice site. Hope mine will be that good when it’s done.

    #1085635
    Rico
    Member
    • Total posts: 137
    Up
    0
    ::
    sroberts, post: 107400 wrote:
    Hi Rico,
    I really liked the site, great colours and easy to navigate.
    I am a fan of the Top Menu on the first page and kept clicking “Back” as I found it more engaging so I would consider putting that on all the pages.
    Apart from that I thought it was excellent, Congratulations and Good Luck.

    Thanks for resuming this thread. After so many positive comments about the top horizontal menu in the home page, we gave it a go to see how it looked store wide, and we didn’t really like it. The problem is that it uses too much real estate and you need to scroll to see the product you are interested in.
    But your post made me to think about it again, and maybe I found the solution…. I’ll go to work on it now, and I’ll ask your opinion as soon as I’ll publish it.

    Rico

    #1085783
    Rico
    Member
    • Total posts: 137
    Up
    0
    ::
    sroberts, post: 107400 wrote:
    Hi Rico,
    I really liked the site, great colours and easy to navigate.
    I am a fan of the Top Menu on the first page and kept clicking “Back” as I found it more engaging so I would consider putting that on all the pages.
    Apart from that I thought it was excellent, Congratulations and Good Luck.

    Thanks for resuming this thread. After so many positive comments about the top horizontal menu in the home page, we gave it a go to see how it looked store wide, and we didn’t really like it. The problem is that it uses too much real estate and you need to scroll to see the product you are interested in.
    But your post made me to think about it again, and maybe I found the solution…. I’ll go to work on it now, and I’ll ask your opinion as soon as I’ll publish it.

    Rico

    #1085636
    Rico
    Member
    • Total posts: 137
    Up
    0
    ::
    UncomplicatingIT, post: 107430 wrote:
    1) There’s something not quite right about the way the home page changes when the browser resizes. The right side menu and some of the header is hidden. The centre panel resizes a little and then stops at 7 items wide as a minimum.

    Good, but I think the resizing priorities are not quite right yet.

    You are so right. We’ve been trying to understand why this happens. The idea is that the web site should automatically load with the best number of product columns for your monitor. So a small window browser will have 4 items across, and a large monitor 7 items, with any number in between. Resizing the window browser should change the number of columns in real time. This doesn’t always happen, unless you click on the refresh button!!! :confused:

    UncomplicatingIT, post: 107430 wrote:
    2) Rule #1 of good UI design – be consistent. As I’m a completely dumb user, I only have the capacity to learn one thing about how to navigate around your site. So, whatever you make me do, make me do it all the time. Don’t make me work out another technique to get from here to there.

    At the moment, drilling down to a specific product hides both the navigation menu and the right menu. I liked those because I saw them everywhere I’d been previosuly.

    Another very good point. We just had to give up in having the right panel in the product page, as we need that space for the technical features of the product. The idea is to have a simple and clear description in the center, and to keep the technical stuff on the side. This gives us a very clean product page that is still very informative. In the past our solution was to have a separate tab for the technical data, but this way we are saving the reader a click of the mouse.
    The top navigation menu is too large to be hosted in all the pages, but I totally agree with you that it should be there… so my idea is now to work on a smaller menu with a similar graphic. I’ll keep you posted

    UncomplicatingIT, post: 107430 wrote:
    3) Most boxes highlight on MouseOver. Cool stuff, looks nice. Would be better if the whole box (particularly the left menu) was the anchor for the group rather than actually having to click on the title. Reason for this is that you’re providing a visual clue on mouseover, but I can’t actually do anything until I move to a piece of text.

    Thanks for pointing it out. Yes, this will have to be fixed.

    UncomplicatingIT, post: 107430 wrote:
    4) I have a 24″ monitor running 1920X1200, and I’m still not able to see all of the header images, even when maximised. THe header image appears to repeat and that leaves me thinking I’m missing something.

    What you see it is actually a mirror of the Free shipping banner on the left. If you had a smaller monitor you wouldn’t be able to see it. This is why I missed it on my laptop, but I can see what you mean now. I will replace it with a grey background.

    UncomplicatingIT, post: 107430 wrote:
    All in all, nice site. Hope mine will be that good when it’s done.

    If you are like me, you will never be 100% happy with your web site, and you will never say: It’s done! ;)

    Rico

    #1085784
    Rico
    Member
    • Total posts: 137
    Up
    0
    ::
    UncomplicatingIT, post: 107430 wrote:
    1) There’s something not quite right about the way the home page changes when the browser resizes. The right side menu and some of the header is hidden. The centre panel resizes a little and then stops at 7 items wide as a minimum.

    Good, but I think the resizing priorities are not quite right yet.

    You are so right. We’ve been trying to understand why this happens. The idea is that the web site should automatically load with the best number of product columns for your monitor. So a small window browser will have 4 items across, and a large monitor 7 items, with any number in between. Resizing the window browser should change the number of columns in real time. This doesn’t always happen, unless you click on the refresh button!!! :confused:

    UncomplicatingIT, post: 107430 wrote:
    2) Rule #1 of good UI design – be consistent. As I’m a completely dumb user, I only have the capacity to learn one thing about how to navigate around your site. So, whatever you make me do, make me do it all the time. Don’t make me work out another technique to get from here to there.

    At the moment, drilling down to a specific product hides both the navigation menu and the right menu. I liked those because I saw them everywhere I’d been previosuly.

    Another very good point. We just had to give up in having the right panel in the product page, as we need that space for the technical features of the product. The idea is to have a simple and clear description in the center, and to keep the technical stuff on the side. This gives us a very clean product page that is still very informative. In the past our solution was to have a separate tab for the technical data, but this way we are saving the reader a click of the mouse.
    The top navigation menu is too large to be hosted in all the pages, but I totally agree with you that it should be there… so my idea is now to work on a smaller menu with a similar graphic. I’ll keep you posted

    UncomplicatingIT, post: 107430 wrote:
    3) Most boxes highlight on MouseOver. Cool stuff, looks nice. Would be better if the whole box (particularly the left menu) was the anchor for the group rather than actually having to click on the title. Reason for this is that you’re providing a visual clue on mouseover, but I can’t actually do anything until I move to a piece of text.

    Thanks for pointing it out. Yes, this will have to be fixed.

    UncomplicatingIT, post: 107430 wrote:
    4) I have a 24″ monitor running 1920X1200, and I’m still not able to see all of the header images, even when maximised. THe header image appears to repeat and that leaves me thinking I’m missing something.

    What you see it is actually a mirror of the Free shipping banner on the left. If you had a smaller monitor you wouldn’t be able to see it. This is why I missed it on my laptop, but I can see what you mean now. I will replace it with a grey background.

    UncomplicatingIT, post: 107430 wrote:
    All in all, nice site. Hope mine will be that good when it’s done.

    If you are like me, you will never be 100% happy with your web site, and you will never say: It’s done! ;)

    Rico

    #1085638
    Uncomplicating
    Member
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    0
    ::
    Rico, post: 107607 wrote:
    If you are like me, you will never be 100% happy with your web site, and you will never say: It’s done! ;)

    Rico

    After 15 years in the world of commercial software design/developement I can tell you never “right”, just “right enough”.

    Started the ball rolling on mine yesterday. We shall see.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.