Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Advertising on a competitor’s site…would you do it?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    RachelWrites
    • Total posts: 81
    Up
    ::

Hi all!

I have identified a site that has a large captured audience of my exact demographic and I’m having trouble working out whether (a) they are a direct competitor or (b) would be complementary.

Work at Home Mums links mums with work at home opportunities. I provide coaching to stay-at-home parents to help them start a business. I don’t agree with most of the home business opportunities on offer to parents (which I clearly state on my website), which is why I coach parents more into starting a business using their own ideas, talents, resources, etc.

The WAHM site is a huge directory of these exact home business opportunities.

So, I’m trying to work out – am I an opportunity? Or am I a competitor to this site?

And if I was a competitor, how ethical is it to still purchase advertising? It’s really cost effective and automated, and I’m sure if they deemed my biz to be problem they could stop the advert and refund my money.

What say you, oh wise flying soloists? :)

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

I tend to agree with you about a large number of these stay at home businesses. But your and mine are just opinions and what you say in your website just offers your viewpoint. Whether others agree or not, and use your service as a result of that, well, that’s up to them, because there will be some of these that may be suitable.

I don’t see that site as a competitor to you, rather one where you can advertise your services, along with all the others who advertise their services. As you mentioned, where they supply job opportunities is just a directly.

In the end, what you are offering is another option for work at home mums.

I don’t see an ethical issue with that. What’s the worst that can happen. They decline to accept your ad.

If you think there is potential benefit of exposure, go for it I say.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I cant see any problems with it, just depends on if they accept your ad. For you it may pick up some of their prospects.

AmberS
    • Total posts: 66
    Up

I’d say you are a competitor with the other listings and advertisers (as they all are to each other really), not with the directory site. You are another opportunity for stay at home mums. If they will let you advertise, go for it.

RachelWrites
    • Total posts: 81
    Up

Thanks so much for the feedback guys.

I think you’re right Amber, it’s not like I have a directory or anything so can’t really classify me as a competitor. And we have the same values in common – wanting to help parents into business. I don’t think they could have a problem with that.

And like Johny said – what’s the worst that can happen? They knock me back and I’ll spend my $ elsewhere!

Thanks again. I’ll load it into the marketing plan for Jan next year :)

WebSeed PH
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Agree with Amber.. Since that site is a directory, the listed businesses there are you competitors. WAHMS only serves as the venue for all the business of the same niches. Consider it as an advantage especially to those who are not listed there because you have access to other sites wherein you can propose and let them know of the services you are offering. Im sure you have differences in terms of services rendered.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.