Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Advice and critique needed.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    shazy
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    ::

I design and create printable craft supplies. This seems to be a new concept as I have never seen it before, although I have always done it for myself.
    I have designed my own website, and changed it once already. I am trying to appeal to the “crafty” group of people and as you will see, against my own preferences, I have joined a few of those “topsite” lists in the hope of attracting the right people to my website.
    I would love for those of you who know more about these things, to let me know what you think of my site overall, and any advice on what I can do to improve it, would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    http://www.shazzledazzle.com

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

It’s very banner heavy. Not enough colour in the site… it’s basically only two colours. Text links and all copy throughout is very small and hard to read. “Add to cart” buttons not prominent enough plus a whole list of other things needing a fix….

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Well, Dan’s given it to you fairly straight!

Personally I didn’t mind the minimal use of colours as the products added a good deal of variance throughout the site.

I agree the font sizes could do with some tweaking, particularly in the left hand navigation.

The banners are a tad too many in number, but they are ranged to the footer, so again I didn’t find them intrusive and no doubt they’ll get nudged out of the way as new products arrive.

Given the craft positioning of your business, I like the overall direction.

Robert

shazy
    Up

Thank you both. I only just changed the banners to be at the foot of the page, so Dan probably saw them when they were in the left nav area.

I have just made the text larger, and changed the main background. I agree, a bit more color does wonders.

FionaFell
    • Total posts: 342
    Up

Hi Shaz.

Sorry, I gave you a suggestion in your other thread, but I’ll reapeat and add more here.

1. Put products on the home page….it took me a while to find your items.
    2. Make the ‘BUY’ buttons larger and more prominant.
    3. Ensure that you remind visitors that they are buying a computer file, and not the cut outs themselves, so they don’t do searching for shipping fees/policies.
    4. Remove the visitor counter at the bottom of your pages. (You care about this number, but your visitor doesn’t, sorry.)

Let me know if you want any additional feedback, or need a hand making these improvements happen.

Fiona

shazy
    Up

Thank you Fiona, I have implemented your suggestions.
    I appreciate all this advice, being new to all of this. Wahmshoppes is a great little set up, but does lack in some services it offers.
    I would love for all new products to show on the home page but the only option they give me is to show featured, which isn’t so bad, I just have to “feature” all new products and remove it from the older ones.
    If anyone has anymore ideas, I’m happy to listen.

FionaFell
    • Total posts: 342
    Up

Shaz,

I am very happy that you took some of my advise and made the changes to your site. I would love to now just how much they help your conversion rate (vistors to customers).

It is good to see that you also found a work around to put the products on your home page.

DIY software is great at times, but some of them often have ‘quirks’, but until a large budget allows for a full web strategy and dedicated shopping cart software in the back end is available, ‘quirks’ can be ironed out or have temporary band-aids applied.

Congrats again of being quick to act – that ‘ACTION’ is one of the best abilities small business and solo operators have over the ‘big boys/girls’

Fiona

shazy
    Up

Thank you again Fiona,
    One “quirk” is that now I have removed the counter, I have no way of knowing how many visitors I get.
    I’m sure that one day I will be able to afford a much better website, but baby steps for now.

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

http://www.google.com/analytics/

It’s like a web counter, but only 3 billion times better ;)

shazy
    Up

Cheers Chris, I signed up and I think I added the code correctly.
    I also submitted my site map and uploaded a robot txt file. But Google is telling me the sitemap is in html format. I have no clue what I’m doing. My wahm shoppe has the sitemap automatically generated and it says it’s an xml file. Any idea how I can fix that one?

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/

Never actually used this, but I’ve heard lots about it :P

shazy
    Up

Thanks, but that didn’t work either. Not sure what’s happening, it is something to do with the file paths I think, wahmshoppes doesn’t really let me get into many.
    My brain is fried, I’ll try again later, lol.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.