Home – New Forums Money matters Advice for a new ABN for a trading as name…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

GST and ABN are not my forte and would value some input, advice please.

Simply, as a company with an existing ABN, can that company register a Trading As Name with a New ABN although actually not process any GST through that ABN and have it processed through the existing companies ABN?

Trying to create a separate entity from a visual perspective, although the back end relies on the key company…

Any input would be appreciated. I’m hoping that a new registered business name can have an ABN applied for although have it lay dormant (but active)…

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Sorry Jason, you’re going to be disappointed :D

Your company, with it’s own ABN, can have a trading as business name, but that business name comes under the ABN of your company. You can have multiple trading as business names, but they will all come under the ABN of your company. If your company ABN is registered for GST, then all the associated trading as business names will be registered for GST.

One entity – one ABN. The company is an entity, not the business name, therefore the business name cannot have an ABN of its own.

Wendy :)

MyGreatIdea
    Up

Your company, with it’s own ABN, can have a trading as business name, but that business name comes under the ABN of your company. You can have multiple trading as business names, but they will all come under the ABN of your company. If your company ABN is registered for GST, then all the associated trading as business names will be registered for GST.

One entity – one ABN. The company is an entity, not the business name, therefore the business name cannot have an ABN of its own.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Couple It, post: 112317 wrote:

Wendy :)I have another question, do you have to register a business name to be Trading As? I am a little confused with how it works.

Thanks!

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Wendy :)I have another question, do you have to register a business name to be Trading As? I am a little confused with how it works.

Thanks!

MyGreatIdea
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 112338 wrote:
    I have another question, do you have to register a business name to be Trading As?

Yes, unless you are a sole trader and you trade as your name, or a company trading as the company name.

This government website has answers to all these questions.

The entity (sole trader, partnership,company) gets the ABN. Register any business name that will be used to trade. That business name can then be linked to the ABN of the entity as a “trading as”. The business name registration and ABN registration are separate actions.

MyGreatIdea
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 112338 wrote:
    I have another question, do you have to register a business name to be Trading As?

Yes, unless you are a sole trader and you trade as your name, or a company trading as the company name.

This government website has answers to all these questions.

The entity (sole trader, partnership,company) gets the ABN. Register any business name that will be used to trade. That business name can then be linked to the ABN of the entity as a “trading as”. The business name registration and ABN registration are separate actions.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Also bear in mind that if you are operating under any name other than your personal name, you must at least register a business name (trading name); A business name is not a legal entity, as Wendy has pointed out – it’s more like an alias for whoever is carrying on the business – be that a sole trader, a partnership or a company etc.

Harry, if you were to register an additional company (pty ltd) – it could have it’s own ABN and not necessarily have to register for GST until it meets the threshold. You might want to speak with your accountant about the best way to trade the two businesses if one is not required to pay GST and the other is. Or, as Wendy said – just have the new business attached to existing company ABN and have it charge/claim GST as a part of that.

All the best.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Also bear in mind that if you are operating under any name other than your personal name, you must at least register a business name (trading name); A business name is not a legal entity, as Wendy has pointed out – it’s more like an alias for whoever is carrying on the business – be that a sole trader, a partnership or a company etc.

Harry, if you were to register an additional company (pty ltd) – it could have it’s own ABN and not necessarily have to register for GST until it meets the threshold. You might want to speak with your accountant about the best way to trade the two businesses if one is not required to pay GST and the other is. Or, as Wendy said – just have the new business attached to existing company ABN and have it charge/claim GST as a part of that.

All the best.

Dane Pymble
    • Total posts: 227
    Up

Some good comments here. Further to the comments specifically about registering a company which gives you ownership of the business name, you may like to check out our article on ACN Registration

AN ACN stands for Australian Company Number. The article explains both how you can register a company yourself direct with ASIC (not recommended) or things to consider when speaking to an accountant or corporate services provider.

Hope that helps!

Dane Pymble
    • Total posts: 227
    Up

Some good comments here. Further to the comments specifically about registering a company which gives you ownership of the business name, you may like to check out our article on ACN Registration

AN ACN stands for Australian Company Number. The article explains both how you can register a company yourself direct with ASIC (not recommended) or things to consider when speaking to an accountant or corporate services provider.

Hope that helps!

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up

Thanks Wendy,

No need to apologise, i was fairly certain that the company was the ‘parent’ entity although had great trouble getting an actual answer to this in online govt reference sites… So your input, as usual, was well appreciated.

We stepped aside on this and decided to set up a separate company that mitigated the whole situation, so all good.. and i must apologise for taking so long to reply, decided to take a field trip to Hong Kong and now off to China…

Thanks again Wendy, and others who added a slight variant to my query, the input is ALWAYS ALWAYS appreciated, ingested and then worked through….

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up

Thanks Wendy,

No need to apologise, i was fairly certain that the company was the ‘parent’ entity although had great trouble getting an actual answer to this in online govt reference sites… So your input, as usual, was well appreciated.

We stepped aside on this and decided to set up a separate company that mitigated the whole situation, so all good.. and i must apologise for taking so long to reply, decided to take a field trip to Hong Kong and now off to China…

Thanks again Wendy, and others who added a slight variant to my query, the input is ALWAYS ALWAYS appreciated, ingested and then worked through….

Cheers
    Jason

MyGreatIdea
    Up
    HarryLuke, post: 112691 wrote:
    .. and i must apologise for taking so long to reply, decided to take a field trip to Hong Kong and now off to China…

ooohhhh China !! You lucky thing :D I can’t wait to get back there again.

MyGreatIdea
    Up
    HarryLuke, post: 112691 wrote:
    .. and i must apologise for taking so long to reply, decided to take a field trip to Hong Kong and now off to China…

ooohhhh China !! You lucky thing :D I can’t wait to get back there again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.